London (change)
Today 18°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 13°C
3 messages
07/04/2013 at 21:45

I am planning my first attempt at creating a full hanging basket - in fact I am a complete beginner at gardening . I live in Edinburgh, so I am worried what palnts I could use for my hanging basket. I would like to create a massive trailing plant hanging basket for my front door - what planst I could use? And what is the secret to a full and lush basket I see in pictures on net? Thanks!

07/04/2013 at 22:32

I live in the northeast, so a very similar climate.

I used Bacopa, petunia, lobelia, ivy, nepeta, anagallis, bidens, brachycome,diasica, nemophila, nolana, surfina, verbena, sweetpeas and more.

Take a trip to your local gardencentre and checkout what they have for hanging baskets.

Also buying a 12" wicker basket helps keep costs down, as you only have to fill the top and will look nice as the basket continues to mature.  

Dead-heading and a liquid feed like miracle-grow is advisable. Water at least once a day when dry, sometimes twice if in full sun. 

07/04/2013 at 22:36

Im in Fife and mine has primula in it at the moment with pansies. Marshmello has summed it all up there 

I got a great plant last year and it was in my baskets for about 5 months. Only problem is...I dont know the name. I called it mouse ears as they are small leaves which, surprise surprise, look like mouse lugs 

email image
3 messages