London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
1 to 20 of 31 messages
16/04/2014 at 10:02

Hi All, 

I have several plants I don't know what to do with now, all are inside and I don't know whether I should be moving them to the greenhouse, move them outside or swap them about i.e. out/GH during the day and in at night, please could someone give me some guidance.

Tomatoes

Cucumber

Aubergines

Marigolds

Lobelia

Morning Glory

Chillies (Cherry Bomb)

Yesterday I planted out my Hostas and hardy geraniums so I'm hoping they will be ok.

Thanks in advance.

16/04/2014 at 10:20

I am putting my Tomatoes in the polytunnel during the day and bringing in at night as we are having cold night in the South and the temp change would be a big shock to the system.

As the nights warm up I will leave them in the poly overnight and maybe wrap in fleece if its a bit chilly. Its a gradual progress and you just have to keep an eye on the weather.

For plants that are going to be planted outside I start off by putting them out during the day then if the forecast is ok for night time temps I will leave them out in a sheltered spot and in a week to a fortnight depending on their rate of growth I will plant them into their final positions.

It's dependent on their frost tolerance,plants such as cucumber, tomatoe, courgettes will be really knocked/killed by a sudden frost so I dont plant them out till last week of May/first week of June.

16/04/2014 at 11:22

Thanks Scroggin, that's made it a bit clearer. I guessed the toms and cucumbers would be different as they are not outdoor varieties.  I really don't want to kill them all off 

16/04/2014 at 12:50

I would keep all those Where they are for now except for marigolds, lobelias and morning glory.....I would move these to greenhouse.

Good warmth, almost heat, are needed for tomatoes, etc with no impact by draughts to check them.  No sense in hurrying up this process by "hardening" off plants that will mostly be indoors anyway.

16/04/2014 at 13:20

I am not sure about the rest but Morning Glory definitely can't go out yet. I put mine out in the unheated greenhouse and they have stopped growing and gone a really sad yellow colour. I have another lot that are still in the house and are growing like mad. I have since read up a bit more and apparently they do not like temperatures below 10 degrees at all. I think next time I will sow my seeds later.

16/04/2014 at 13:27

Sprig2

Yes, morning glory is very cold sensitive, let alone frost sensitive.  It needs warmth until season has warmed up considerably. Sorry but pleased you picked up on my deliberate mistake. ......er 

16/04/2014 at 14:02

Oh Verdun......it's a good job someone knows what they are doing, or were you trying to sabotage my growing efforts on purpose 

Thanks Verdun for the info that was correct and Sprig  Sowing some more Morning  Glory that have arrived today and keeping them on the windowsill 

16/04/2014 at 14:08

If your toms and cucumbers are indoors they will benefit from the added light they will get from being in the greenhouse during the day. At the moment its warmer in my poly during the day than indoors and obviously more light, its a bit of a faff but if you bring them in at night they will benefit from the extra light.

16/04/2014 at 14:09

It is warmer in the GH Scroggin, it's about 30c, they are on trays so not too much 'faff' I will give it a go.

16/04/2014 at 14:30

I actually cross posted with Verdun so did not know I was contradicting until after the event! You will probably find your new batch of Morning Glory seeds will end up better anyway. Mine are getting so big now they are a bit unmaneagable inside, at least yours will be a sensible size when the weather is good enough to put them out.

16/04/2014 at 14:38

I've not sowed my Morning Glories yet - they get away much quicker if you wait until the weather is warmer 

16/04/2014 at 16:47

I might hold back a bit then, I'm running out of space indoors!! 

16/04/2014 at 18:24

OL, 'fraid there isn't a one size fits all, when it comes to this subject. It will usually have letters on the seed packets that represent the hardiness of your chosen plants i.e. sweet peas will have HA printed on the packets.....this indicates they are 'hardy annuals'...but we know they are hardy, didn't we?  ....others will say HHA, this translates to half hardy annuals, meaning they can be planted out after no more frosts are expected etc.

Tomatoes Cucumber Aubergines & Chillies are not normally hardened-off, because they are grown under glass for the duration. They can be grown outdoors, but this is something undertaken during the warmer days of summer.

Marigolds Lobelia & Morning Glory can be started under glass before being hardened-off by putting in a codframe for a couple of weeks before being planted into their permanent positions....leaving the top off during the day & replacing it at night.

Hostas & hardy geraniums no problem with those.

16/04/2014 at 18:38

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/001-7.jpg

PS. This is a bed I planted of summer annuals.....I merely bought several packets of seed very cheaply at the end of the season, sowed them directly into the border, no greenhouse, no coldframe, no hardening-off.

I will admit to buying a few cheap geranium & bedding begonia plugs.

16/04/2014 at 18:50

I " harden" everything unless already grown outside or bought during the summer. ,for example, heleniums...tough as old boots.....arrived today but they will be accustomed to outside  conditions here in Cornwall for a few days before planting out. I think it makes a big difference as plants dont  then suffer a check to their growth.  I too bought hostas recently but they were potted up and grown indoors for a couple of weeks.  Hostas are now outside and look good and strong.

No disadvantage to hardening off.....well worth the extra effort 

16/04/2014 at 19:24

I'm just a lazy gardener (albeit with a modicum of success)...can't for the life of me understand for instance why anyone would want to soften sweet peas (I do grow other things, btw) and then have to acclimatise them to he great outdoors again.....in actual fact they can be sown outdoors in October where they are to flower. 

16/04/2014 at 19:46

Don't  grow many annuals...more skillful than it seems. David, that's excellent ...almost   tempts me to grow some. 

16/04/2014 at 20:24
Verdun wrote (see)

Don't  grow many annuals...more skillful than it seems. David, that's excellent ...almost   tempts me to grow some. 

These bluddy sweet peas haunt me!

Well, Verdun if I lived in your beautiful location, it's what I would be doing.

I sometimes feel that gardening is as difficult as we care to make it.

16/04/2014 at 20:40

David K i like your way of thinking i am a complete amateur but fast learning the more i stress and mess the more problems i get,everything i have planted with out no fuss is thriving and everything i am planting and stressing with is dying,i just think the trial and error approach is best as everyone's gardens and weather is different,still i do take all tips and advice on board

16/04/2014 at 21:17

It's a fine balance, Mikey....sometimes 'trial & error' can lead to disillusionment and whatever our pursuits of interest, that can't be helpful.

I think this is in the mind of more experienced gardeners on this forum taking trouble to help & encourage those who are comparatively new to gardening.   

1 to 20 of 31 messages