Start a new thread

1 to 13 of 13 replies

Does anyone have any advice on some hardy plants that we can put in a huge terracotta pot we have please? the area is in shade all day so need to take that into account, we've also put some wall baskets there either side and would like to put some hardy plants in those that hang but don't grow too big, any ideas please? very new to all this! thanks in advance

hollie hock

I have a couple of large ferns that have been living in large terracota pots for the last couple of years. I had a lovely fushia once that lived over them, it wasn't hardy so died but there are many hardy ones

nutcutlet

Hi Nina, ferns and hostas are good in pots and shade

Dovefromabove

When you say huge - how big is huge?

Shelleybabes

Hi Nina, I have a Bambo in a large pot, and a couple of Acers

Advertisement

Thanks guys for the quick replies, we already have 2 lovely hardy fushias so would like something different and something that flowers really.

i would fill it with new guinea impatiens...all same colour.  superb

happymarion

A deutzia gracilis would be lovely.  Flowering now and smells great.

There are some lovely shade loving cranesbill geraniums which I have thriving in quite deep shade. Alchemilla mollis, hellebores and sweet box or sarcococca are all plants that I've had success with in dry shade

Juniper81

how about some Dicentras? the Bleeding Hearts are well suited in shady areas lovely as they don't grow too big

sorry read that wrong.  my suggestion was for summer planting only.

plant a white hydrangea or a large fern

Hostas are lovely for their foliage, but they do flower as well.   

Well I am very proud of my new tub! I have a mixture of Dwarf Pinks, Salvia microphylla and a nemesia, in the winter I will put the tub in the shed as the Salvia is half hardy and hopefully will grow again next year, what do you think?