London (change)
Today 17°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 10°C
8 messages
26/03/2012 at 12:29

I cut my massive wisteria back to a 2 ft stump late last summer because it was in the way and now it's showing no signs of life.  Do you think I've killed it?  If I have, is there any easy way of getting the whopping big stump out of the ground?   Thanks.

27/03/2012 at 01:07

Did you carefully scratch away a little bit of the stem to see if it was still green? if so i wouldnt worry too much. it probably wont do much this year just produce leaves.... if there is no green give it a while. my parnter put out my fushias into the cold one day with out telling me and they "died". there was no green at all. i left them to themselves for about 2 months and i noticed a couple of days ago a few small but very much visible green shoots. so dont give up just yet..

however if it really is dead i have no clue on how to get it out....dig down as deep as you can and try to chop must of the roots from the base and pull it out like a tooth??

thats my advice for what its worth...

28/03/2012 at 20:33

wisteria are most vulnerable in the spring just as they make new growth-sudden cold can kill-if that happened the plant is probably gone otherwise it will certainly sprout from the roots although not perhaps where you want it

29/03/2012 at 07:23

thanks both of you, I'll leave it a little longer, if only to avoid digging the thing up.

30/03/2012 at 10:10

I have recently bought some trailing begonia tubers for pots and baskets but don't know the best time to plant them. I live in east sussex.

18/04/2012 at 14:44

I have 2 lovely wisteria plants in the garden, well they WERE beautiful. Masses of buds appeared as usual a few weeks back but now they have all dried out and the whole plant ( both of them ) look dead, but scraping the stems shows green. They are in different parts of the garden but both look dried and dead. Can anyone tell me if there is anything to be done to save them please ??

18/04/2012 at 22:57

The only thing that you can really do is leave them and see what happens. With a bit of luck you will get fresh shoots in a few weeks' time.

Begonia tubers - they should be started indoors, just under the surface of some compost; now is a good time. Pot on when they have produced shoots, and harden off before planting in their final positions when all danger of frost has passed.

19/04/2012 at 19:42

Our wisteria has been rubbish this year too, maybe it because of the dry winter.  It was covered in buds but very few have opened. 

email image
8 messages