Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Have you seen this rose?

DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

I've found this rose, bred and registered by David Austin, called Dove image

http://mistydowns.com.au/plant_display/display/334-dove 

It doesn't appear on David Austin's English website - has anyone come across it or seen it anywhere please?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

It looks lovely - worth trying to track it down. Perhaps email David A. and ask?

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 17,654

No Dove sorry. But the colouring is quite similar to a climber I have called New Dawn. But I expect you want it for the name.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

How did you guess imageimage

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

Ive been going to DA's regularly over the last 3 years and have never come across a rose called Dove.  As you say SGL it really does look a lot like New Dawn.  I'd do as Hogweed says and either email or give them a ring.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • chickychicky Posts: 10,409

On a related topic .... there is a beautiful white aquilegia called Dove - i've seen it growing at Wisley and taken a note of the name.  You could have a garden full of Dovesimageimage

• Mistydowns Nursery is in Australia I think. Could that have something to do with 'Dove' rose not being available/known in the UK?

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..this is one of the Austin's that did not stand the test of time in this country...a few of his don't and they discontinue them.... probably suffered with too much black spot....or poor growth.... as sometimes happens, some of these do better in hot climates like Australia or California...as this one does, it seems...

• I like New Dawnimage.

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

I like New Dawn too Woody - flowers on, and on, and on....

• I let mine scramble through other neighbouring shrubs... who needs pruning??image