London (change)
Today 17°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 11°C
6 messages
10/08/2012 at 08:49

Do you prune Hebe plants? If so when is the best time to do it

10/08/2012 at 10:47

No pruning is needed although if they get leggy you can prune hard back in April.
Nothing to stop you giving it a very light trim to round it up now if you wish but be gentle with it.

Frank.

10/08/2012 at 11:13

Thanks

10/08/2012 at 13:09
Depends on what hebe you have too. I grow hebe salicifolia....hope got that right.... A tall plant with wands of white flowers, full flower right now, and I remove all the flowering shoots plus a general tidy up for shape and size as soon as flowering is over. I do this with gauntletii And with the smaller variegated hebes. Keeps them young, fresh and mounded. These hebes grow so quickly that they do get leggy before you notice it.
10/08/2012 at 14:31

Thanks christopher2.  My hebes are just about finished flowering now (pink/purple flowers) so think I will do as you suggest as soon as the flowers go.

13/08/2012 at 16:20

I have autumnal blue - flowers abundandantly and self-seeds too! I deadhead regularly to keep it looking good, then I cut it back to new growthy near the base after flowering when it is outgrowing its space.  Its a bit like lavender - don't cut back into old wood, just down as far as the new shoots.

The seedlings are variable - have two nice ones growing in tubs, short and stocky, and one which became very lanky so has beenj recycled.

email image
6 messages