Start a new thread

1 to 6 of 6 replies

No pruning is needed although if they get leggy you can prune hard back in April.
Nothing to stop you giving it a very light trim to round it up now if you wish but be gentle with it.

Depends on what hebe you have too. I grow hebe salicifolia....hope got that right.... A tall plant with wands of white flowers, full flower right now, and I remove all the flowering shoots plus a general tidy up for shape and size as soon as flowering is over. I do this with gauntletii And with the smaller variegated hebes. Keeps them young, fresh and mounded. These hebes grow so quickly that they do get leggy before you notice it.

Thanks christopher2.  My hebes are just about finished flowering now (pink/purple flowers) so think I will do as you suggest as soon as the flowers go.

gardenning granny

I have autumnal blue - flowers abundandantly and self-seeds too! I deadhead regularly to keep it looking good, then I cut it back to new growthy near the base after flowering when it is outgrowing its space.  Its a bit like lavender - don't cut back into old wood, just down as far as the new shoots.

The seedlings are variable - have two nice ones growing in tubs, short and stocky, and one which became very lanky so has beenj recycled.