Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Hebes flowering

mailLmailL Posts: 6

Could anyone tell me when hebes flower?  I have had no flowers yet this year (and none last year).  A gardener cut them in bloom two years ago.  Has he killed the flower or does it need fertiliser to encourage the flower? The hebes are otherwise very healthy.  Thank you!

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,883

Hi mailL. Once hebes start flowering it goes on all summer, Hebes should be pruned in March and should never be cut back into old wood. They are very tolerant of neglect and should never be overwatered. A sprinkling of general fertiliser may help.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • mailLmailL Posts: 6

Thanks for your response.  The problem is they haven't started flowering yet and I am wondering when they will or if they will at all.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Most of them are summer flowering - the pagei ones are earlier - so don't worry too much.

Some of the less hardy ones (variegated and larger leaved ones) don't like pruned hard, but the smaller leaved ones will take a little more. If allowed to get big and leggy,  pruning back can often see them off, so it's best to lightly prune them every year after flowering to keep their shape. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Mine are only just starting to come into flower :) 

• Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

i don't do anything to mine except leave them alone and they've all been flowering for about a month now. I live in the south east.

I planted one that has been dried out in a pot overwinter and then for most of spring and horribly neglected and it's recovering and flowering all over. I gave it some fish, blood and bone powder when I planted it.

Thanks for the responses.  I am concerned as a gardener cut them while in bloom so I am worried that has killed them all together.  I would have thought they would have started flowering by now.   I suppose time will tell.

• Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

Even if that's the case I'm sure they will either flower later on in the year or next year.

I hope you are right.  They're are still no flowers.  If they don't flower, then this will be the second spring/summer of no- little flowers ?

The hebes are really healthy and green just not flowering.  I wonder if I need to replace them.  I have 14!

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Which varieties are they? Some have very few flowers or almost none at all really. Mine haven't started budding up yet either which is perfectly normal here. They're mostly Vernicosa. If they've had a severe haircut, but are still green and alive, I think you may just have to be patient. 

Oh - and sack the gardener...image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...