London (change)
Today 15°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
17 messages
14/03/2013 at 14:38

Can anyone tell me if they will recover after very strong icy winds  plus all the frosts,  I have (maybe had !) a lovely bed but the flowers don't seem to be recovering at all,  thanks.

Lyn
14/03/2013 at 14:51
Mine went the same but the plants will recover, the flowers already out won't, I don't think, leave them for a while and see, then cut them off if they don't. That is what I am going to do.
My daff s were hanging but they have all stood up today, it's amazing how they cope, nature is hard.
14/03/2013 at 15:01

Thanks,  yes agree on the daffs.  Unfortunately most of the Hellebore flowers are out as I bought  new plants with flowers to see what I was getting. Banking on having the flowers for the next few months as some colour in a shady corner !  Give in and get some Primroses maybe, but not nearly as beautiful.

14/03/2013 at 15:19

Dont be too hasty to remove the flowers yet. Ok, those any with black/dark brown splodges on them, or the leaves, should be disposed of, not composted btw. When there's a heavy frost the plants do droop. Once the temperature rises they should perk up again. We had -5C this morning & mine have just about 'come round'. J.

14/03/2013 at 17:06
Hellebore flowers are very very tough......once they have been in position for a while. New plants may have been grown indoors and not fully acclimatised. My new hellebores have been fleeced ....for a few days after planting. If frost is expected I cover again. This in a mild area. I suggest you leave flowers on cutting only when it's clear the stem has collapsed. Then cut this stem right back to the base. For next year mulch generously and feed well
14/03/2013 at 17:59

Ours have been frosted for the last week or so, until late on today. Now they are all stood up as if nothing had happened.

14/03/2013 at 19:49

They do look sulk when hit by a hard decimating frost, but are as tough as old boots. When I was sailing round  Scandinavia a couple of years ago, albeit in midsummer, I kept an eye out for what perennials where grown in domestic gardens and were doing well. and hellebores were a common choice. Obviously I missed their flowering season, but the leaves of established plants are distinctive.
Other common plantings were rosa rugosa and lavender.

01/04/2013 at 08:49

My Hellebores look very sad indeed. With daily temperatures below freezing for the last few weeks they don't seem to be standing up at all. I would like to know if they will recover should the temperature begin to rise?

01/04/2013 at 08:59
Don't worry Jane.
Hellebores are tough.
They should recover.....normally they "stand up" during the day after frosts collapse them.
I know it's been very,cold in some areas this winter but with a rise in temps hellebores should,again stand proud.
01/04/2013 at 09:01

If the flowers are cut off before they go to seed, will the hellebore produce more, as many other plants would?

As has been said, hellebores do droop  badly if they are very cold, but they do stand up again. Young plants do seem to droop longer than more mature ones. They like to be damp at the roots and in this area, it hasn't rained (amazingly) for a few days. I'm watering my young plants, especially where the soil is free-draining.

01/04/2013 at 09:03

Mine are very variable this year. Some seem unaffected by the weather and stand up again after the frost goes. Some sre staying depressed looking all the time. Not a good year for my hellebores, as well as wether some had their flowers eaten at the bud stage.

01/04/2013 at 09:38
If flowers are removed as soon as over hellebores will flower again spasmodically. Last year I had 2 good,shows. I remove flowered stems ASAP to prevent seeding amongst my clumps.
I know it's a slightly different world down here.....not as cold,in winter....but my hellebores are enjoying the conditions.
I think young plants are just as hardy as the mature ones ...it's probably,that their roots haven't yet gone deep enough to,cope on their own. Shouldn't really need to water hellebores in the ground at the moment.
Nut, you may be right about some plants coping better than others. Lots of breeding may create stronger/weaker varieties but, down here I havent really,noticed that
01/04/2013 at 09:53

Hi Verdun

It's the dark purple ones that are good. Whites poor, pinks variable. Does suggest it's in the genes.

01/04/2013 at 10:04

Thanks for the info, Verdun and Nutcutlet. I should perhaps have mentioned that these young hellebores have only been in the ground a few days and are not established.

01/04/2013 at 17:41
Ok gardening grandma...that makes sense.
Nut, you may be right ..I guess purple are the most vigorous. However, all mine grow with good vigour.
I do believe in good feeding from planting stage onward. One planted yesterday had large hole with plenty dried manure, compost and fertiliser ...fish blood n bone.
01/04/2013 at 17:47

Just found a couple of babies have appeared near my hybrids.

Unfortunately one has decided to come up right in the centre of my favourite aquilegia which is just showing leaves..  Looks like I'll have to dig the whole lot up and try and tease them apart, otherwise it'll have to be a sacrifice!

01/04/2013 at 19:04
Bob I recognise that frustration
When aquilegia flowers and finishes you have a good chance, as you said. Dig deep though cos I think the aquilegia has deep roots. Hopefully the hellebore seedlings wont be too deep. I find usually they are easy almost to scoop out. Hope you can salvage all three.
email image
17 messages