London (change)
Today 25°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
21 to 34 of 34 messages
27/03/2013 at 11:35

Haha Verdun, I've certainly taken to them, since all the hype on here recently. Can't wait to start planting and thankyou for your tips, I was just about to create a thread on how to look after them

And 40 Hellebores?! Thats loads! Is that because they self seed or because you bought that many?

01/04/2013 at 16:52

Is there something other than fish blood and bone fertilizer thats good for Hellebores.  The reason I ask is that I think it attracts vermin into the gasrden, you know the ones.. four legged ones that poo everywhere.  I think the smell must attract them.

01/04/2013 at 17:31
No Ryan I buy them. Try to stop them seeding cos they spoil my plants.
Ryan, I don't know why but you seem to create a happy buzz when you post here. You make me even more enthusiastic. That's great thanks
Sterelitza I know exactly what you mean. I've thought of that too. Mushroom compost is brilliant for hellebores. Calcified seaweed too....I would mix both together.
Hey Brumbull I heard that......those hellebores are mine. Mine I tell you
02/04/2013 at 12:55

Brumbull-pleased you have seen the beauty of the hellebore. Let us know which you get. I saw some reduced at the Range yesterday-with beautiful white flowers- I resisted but have been thinking about them all night!

Love your idea of spending as much on the hole as the plant Verdun.

21/04/2013 at 19:18
I'm new to this posting business, but as I am a lover of Hellebores I just wanted to say thank you Verdun for the feeding advice. I have about 20 or so plus lots of seedlings, and I want them to look even better next year.
24/04/2013 at 22:55

Verdun

i'm confused.  Why would the seedlings spoil your plants?

25/04/2013 at 08:03
Pidge
Morning
Seedlings germinating and growing In amongst the parent plant spoil it by throwing in the seedling colour. So I make sure any seedlings are potted up early
25/04/2013 at 10:56

Waiting for a delivery from Harvington which should arrive today or tomorrow. Plugs which will need tlc - excited

25/04/2013 at 13:34
Hiya Bev
I know the varieties on offer....exciting all of them. I resisted cos I have so many but was tempted by the double green. I wonder if the colour is that dark though.
I can't be, mustn't be, tempted,by any more hellebores.....I have so many.
Will you pot,on Imto J Innes or mpc?
25/04/2013 at 20:18

I was going to pot in mpc then put pots into a trough and mulch with manure but not on the hellebore- does that sound ok to you Verdun?

I am interested to see how vibrent the double green is. Saw one at GC today which was green but a dull green. Roll on next winter lol

25/04/2013 at 20:41

Hiya Bev

Why pots into a trough though?  This summer would be just about growth for those plugs.  Think I would put in 1litre pots and leave in partial shade.  They prob won't flower until 2015.  Mpc ok but I would use J Innes next spring.   Manure when they are  bigger I think

Those greens at GC are bit iffish.  Hopefully yours will be the colour as shown  on harvington site

25/04/2013 at 21:32

Delighted to catch this 'thread' with so much worthwhile advice on hellebore care & feeding - my dozen or so plants have been blooming for nigh on three months now; due in no small part to the sheltered coastal West Wales setting and the much-applauded efforts of my chainsaw-wielding son having removed several overpowering fir trees from the south side of the terrace garden plot that was gradually turning into jungle these past twenty years!

25/04/2013 at 23:18

Evening Verdun- I was going to put them in 3" pots, but do you think they should go stright into 1 litre. I was going to sink these in a trough just to make it look tidier. Can I spray with seaweed or should I wait 'till they are bigger? Thank you for all your help.

26/04/2013 at 00:00

Bev

I think 9 cm pots will be much too small for these plugs.  They will be strong deep rooted plants and I would put them in at least 1 litre pots, possibly larger.  

They should be in partial shade and left.....kept moist...undisturbed.  If growth is vigorous say in mid summer a seaweed spray would do no harm but the aim is to get good growth and not to think of any flowers for a year or two

Good luck fellow addict!

email image
21 to 34 of 34 messages