Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Hellebores

PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

So, it is that time of year when the Hellebore x hybrids 'need'

the old stems removing.

I put  need in '' as I wonder if it is really necessary. We have well over 1,000 Hellebores in the garden and it takes a humongous amount  of back breaking time cutting them back.

So I was just wondering. What do you think?

I know about Hellebore Black Death etc so no need to dwell on that.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I fail to get all mine cut back every year. It doesn't seem to make any difference apart from being able to see the scruffy old leaves. 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • happymarionhappymarion Posts: 4,591

I like to cut my hellebore flowers to float in water.  Here are today's offering.  If a leaf is blocking the flowers I just cut it out;  they grow new ones from the roots then.  Helps them to make lovely bushy plants covered in flowers.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I remove the old leaves just as the stems of the new flowers buds are lengthening.  This way they get the protection from the old leaves for as long as possible in the winter, but I'm able to see the new flowers when they appear.  Just have to do it carefully.   It won't be long now - Tutu and Mrs Betty Ranicar have some fantastic buds  image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I haven't got anything even nearly out Marion. Last year there were lots before the end of December.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

That's what I did with them in my old garden too.  It helped me see the flowers from the living room window - important when the weather is too dire to go and look close up.

None here and the ones I've seen on sale look ordinary and are jolly expensive so I'll try and get some in teh sales or grow from seed.  Not sure how well they'll cope with hotter, drier summers here so won't be going mad tho I do love them.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I just take off any damaged leaves, but I only have a few so it's not too tricky.

I have Blue Lady which flowers pretty much all year round. It's got a load of new buds just now as well as older flowers. I'll probably take those off.

Goregeous photo Marion image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • floraliesfloralies Posts: 2,716

I am down country from you Obelixx and manage to grow hellebores. I have them in places where they don't get the hot summer sun all day. A bit tricky, but they do seem to manage ok. Have to agree that they are very ordinary and pricey in the shops.

A lot of mine have self seeded but still waiting to see what colours they may be, as they take ages to grow before they flower.