Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Helleborus argutifolius?

Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 750

Any Hellebore experts here? I have this Hellebore that has seeded itself from somewhere. I think it's Helleborus argutifolius can any experts shed any light on how it most likely got here? Thanks

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Certainly does look like H. argutifolius. Bird dropping?

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

If this is the same, so much for me saying I didn't have an hellebores image

This has been growing in a very poor spot for at least the last 4 yrs.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I'm along way from expert but they both look like argutifolius to me.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

KEF wrote (see)

.........................This has been growing in a very poor spot for at least the last 4 yrs.

KEF - that's exactly why I need one for my scrubby shady patch under the biggest ash tree that I'm clearing and planning at the moment  image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..this is my favourite Hellebore although I don't have it at the moment.... it seeds itself heavily but usually in the local vicinity,  if the spent flowers are not cut off mid summer...hundreds of seedlings, one needs to be careful of this if near a pathway or gravel....   I wonder if it might have come from next door if they have one...

I have found it to be a very imposing plant and it grows well in a dry east or north facing location...

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

And on the where did that come from thing, I have just found a pure white double flowered one next to a very dark red double one. Now I remember planting the red, but certainly would not have planted the white one right next to it.

And the other plant for poor soil in a shady patch would be H. foetidus.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139
    Berghill wrote (see)

............. And the other plant for poor soil in a shady patch would be H. foetidus.

Yes, I love that one too - it's on the list image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I like foetidus. I treat it as bi/triennial, After that it seems to go black and nasty looking here

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

I think it's lovely especially as I now know what it is.

I will be out looking for "babies" tomorrow.