Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

help find a fig tree

Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

can anyone tell me what is the best kind of fig tree to buy for a wettish ,mild climate here in west Wales,i find the garden centers tend to not know much about them , my ex neighbour in Nottingham had a cracker full of fruit but,is no longer there, anybody got a name of a good one i can try and find any hints on looking after it when i do get one   hopefully cheers 

• MuddyForkMuddyFork Posts: 435

You could try googling it.  This site looks useful  http://www.readsnursery.co.uk/fig-trees-tips-and-advice-on-how-to-grow-fig-bushes-in-uk-gardens/.

I use to have a Brown Turkey fig that did very well but it was in a pot in full sun and in Hampshire so not sure how it whether it would be good in Wales.

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

nice one many thanks for that folks Turkey it is then ,,hope its sunnyimage

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

4711, have you been to Farmyard Nursery in Llandysul?  No shortage of good advice there.  I like the fact you said the climate was wet - ISH in West Wales. That amused me! 

I had an excellent Brown Turkey growing against a west-facing wall here in West Wales.

I suggest you get your hands on a RHS fruit book.  There are quite a lot of things that have to be done for a fig tree.  Pinching out shoots, removing dead figlets,feeding, etc.

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

welshonion u got to remember im a northener from the midlands and since iv been here the suns been doing a miners, so  wet it is then so far, but what a lovely place and im amazed at how friendly people are here in Tenby, so all your advice im going to follow  many thanks and good luck

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

You should be fine in sunny Tenby.  I'm a bit north of you overlooking the Preselis. The extra altitude makes a difference.

Farmyard Nurseries have a website and I think they are outside M&S in Carmarthen on a Wednesday.

They are well worth a trip up to Llandysul at the weekend, perhaps.