Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Help identify a yellow flower please

TomskTomsk Posts: 204

Could anyone tell me what flower this is? I thought maybe it's a pansy, but the only ones I know I've seen before seem larger than this and have multiple colours. The leaves in shot are also from this plant. It's only just flowered in the last day or two:

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

That looks like an eschscholtzia, Californian poppy. Annual, will self seed if you let it

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • daffygardenerdaffygardener Posts: 109

yes I agree with nutcutlet & they do spread if you let then

• TomskTomsk Posts: 204

Thanks very much!

Do these come in multiple colours, or should I also expect different shapes, sizes and heights?

Also, are there any tips for making the most out of trying to get this flower to spread next year? It's growing in the ground, but I'd like to have a few pots growing them in the future.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Not much different in sizes but there are other colours. I think orange is the basic colour and whites, pinks, yellows have been bred. Some are nice, I like the orange best

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

If it's anything like my yellow ones you need have no fear of a shortage of future plants.  Like my pink (proper) geraniums they will spring up just anywhere.  The poppies will produce seed heads, let them mature and then put them in a pot. And no, the orange ones produce orange ones and the yellow ones produce yellow ones.