London (change)
Today 26°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
8 messages
20/05/2012 at 22:02

Hello everyone.  I have a flower I'm trying to identify - I took a photo of it last Summer and would love to find out what it is and purchase for my garden this year.  I can't upload it as an attachment to this message, but have managed to upload it as my profile photo - it's the pink & yellow flower to the left!  Thank you.

20/05/2012 at 22:34

Possibly a Zinnia, where did you take the photo?

20/05/2012 at 22:48

Hi Kate, it was taken at a wedding in Kent, last June.  The venue had beautiful grounds and I saw this flower in the garden as I was leaving. I've just looked up 'Zinnia' and they look too large (but very beautiful).  These were quite small flowers.  But thank you for replying!

21/05/2012 at 00:26

Hi Helen, The plant looks like Lantana.  I have seen it in places like Cyprus.  Probably not suitable for our climate.

Madam Worzel Gummidge

21/05/2012 at 16:42

I too think it is lantana, you can grow it here if you have a southwards warm garden, otherwise it is often grown as a conservatory or patio plant, put out when warm and kept under cover when not.  They are lovely, but here alot of trouble to keep going well. 

21/05/2012 at 17:51

Thank you Madam Worzel Gummidge & Bookertoo!! 

Fantastic, thanks for the plant name.  I put it in a well known search engine (!) and the images were exactly like it.  Thank you very much for the planting tips - I'm a novice at gardening, but if I can find them in my Garden Centre, think I will give them a go (my small garden is southwest facing and the patio is a little suntrap, so fingers crossed). 

Thanks again!

21/05/2012 at 18:00

Much loved by flutterbyes too

21/05/2012 at 18:16
They are very thirsty too! I've seen it growing wild in the Azores, it is very pretty.
email image
8 messages