Start a new thread

1 to 16 of 16 replies

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and a novice gardener. I have a number of plants I would appreciate some help identifying. Some may be weeds and some large shrubs that I have no idea what they are. Please see my Flickr photostream:

Fickr Photostream

Thanks in advance for your help and no doubt I'll be posting further questions as I discover my garden.

Littleredhel

marshmello

Second pic, pink flower - is 100% a Aquilegia. Not a weed !!

marshmello

The one that you call a thistle, is I think, a Amberboa. Not a weed either

sotongeoff

Not camellia-but a peony

kate1123

Picture 4 Linarias-Toadflax.

Advertisement

kate1123

The thistle I think is Centaurea montana-perennial cornflower

Agree with aquilegia, peony and centaurea. I thought pic 4 looked like some sort of currant but there are no fruits I can see so maybe flowering currant. Pic 5 possibly some sort of escallonia, pic 7 can't remember its name but I have loads and they spread like mad - not a weed but can be invasive but the bees/insects love it. Can't be sure what pics 8 and 9 are but I think final pic is red valerian.

marshmello

I think, pic 4 ( or summer fruiting bush, as you put it ) is a blackcurrant bush, I've been trying to think where I've seen the same shaped leaves before - I have a blackcurrant bush at the allotment and the leaves look very similar.

kate1123

I miscounted 7 looks like Toadflax

Daintiness

1. Hypericum  2.Aquilega  3. Peony  4. Fruit bush or Ribes -any fruit/flowers? 5. Cotoneaster? 6. Centaurea  7.  Euphorbia  8. Cotoneaster  9. Spirea 10.  Valerian

sotongeoff

Picture 4 is definitely a currant but could be fruiting or a flowering one

BobTheGardener

My guesses:

1-Hypericum, 2-Aquilegia, 3-Peony, 4-Current of some kind, 5-young crab apple?, 6-Amberboa or Centaurea, 7-Purple Toadflax (weed), 8-?, 9-?, 10-Red Valerian (grows like mad here, so weed!)

diggingdoris

Hypericum ,aquilegia,peony, currant of some sort, pear or crab apple?, centaurea montana, cotoneaster, spiraea, valerian.

I've got 8 out of the 10 you showed in my garden, so I'm fairly certain.

diggingdoris

Sorry missed out no.7 toadflax as the others said.

Thank you so much for all your advice and help - you are all amazing and extremely  knowledgable! Having a look at some images online and all your answers are spot on. I can now tidy my garden with increased confidence that I know what things are.

Re: image 4 - Thanks Daintiness, I will keep watching for flowers/ and or fruit, there is nothing visible at present. It would be quite nice for it to be a blackcurrant bush!

Thanks again

Littleredhel

Advertisement

Hi, I too think number 4 is a currant bush.  Smell the leaves and that will give you a clue as blackcurrant leaves smell lovely.