Start a new thread

1 to 8 of 8 replies

About a month ago I planted seeds I purchased as part of a cheap discount store grow-your-own venus flytrap kit. Four shoots promptly emerged but it transpired, upon speaking with flytrap experts on another forum, that my plants are not flytraps at all. I have no idea what they are (I'm a complete novice) and wondered if anyone could help me.

The four  shoots are all 3-4 weeks old, and there is a small one just visible in the middle just came up yesterday. The second photo is a close-up of the tallest plant, which is about an inch high and has recently grown a third, different shaped leaf projecting up on a thin stem as well as another shoot coming up from the centre. This could well be a different species from the rest. I had initally thought this third leaf was  the 'trap' part of the venus flytrap but was told this is not the case!

I'd be inclined to look after these as thoyugh they are VFTs Chompy. That true leaf looks as though it's developing something round the edge. wait a bit and give us another look. It may be some other carnivorius plant wrongly named. As Sara says it's difficult. I recognise seedlings of things I've grown (not VFT) but not otherwise

I all, it's about 3 weeks since my initial post and here's what the plants look like now. There are 4 plants which appear to all be the same and 1 plants which I moved to a different pot as it is a different species. Any help identifying them?

I think the individual plant got a bit sunburnt (its newer leaves on the left are fine since I took it out of direct sunlight) I don't think it's naturally varigated. I left it in direct sunlight as this is what's recommended for venus flytraps but I think it took its toll. Seems to be surviving though.

They all look like weeds to me  Certainly not VFT's and don't look like any other carnivorous plant I know.

Yeah I thought as much. I certainly think the top one is a weed, and clover sprang to mind too

So I got rid of the clover and kept the other ones, this is what they look like now. Any guesses? Are they just weeds?

not a clue chompy. Never seen anything like that