London (change)
Today 28°C / 20°C
Tomorrow 25°C / 17°C
12 messages
01/03/2014 at 21:15

So... I'm a total gardening newbie... moved into a new house last year and for the first time, have a lovely garden to rescue! I have a blank canvas, and have mainly gone with hardy annuals, to give me some motivation to then work on something more long term. I've become a complete gardenaholic already, (my husband thinks its hilarious that I have even got a little notebook with the vital stats of my seed collection!),  and have learnt a ridiculous amount so far (mostly identifying where I've gone wrong before, and still a LONG way to go!)

Anyway, I have accumulated a large collection of seeds, and am so excited to start, but, as a novice, I am having problems visualising my grown plants, based on the little close up pictures i can find online, mainly just focused on the flower etc. I wondered if i posted a list of the seeds I have so far, would you lovely people mind sharing any pics that you might have of them in your garden etc, so that i can get more of an idea of what to put where? the ground coverage plants on my list are going to be an attempt at planting paving cracks etc. 

I've spent the last week or so working on my new borders. They have been dug out, turned and turned, MP compost added (dense clay soil once i go down a bit) and my rotted horse manure added yesterday. Should i add FBB also, before planting?

Here is my list! Im grateful for any pics and info!

Aubrieta (purple cascade)

Dierama pulcherrima 'Slieve Donard Hybrids'

Erigeron karvinskianus 'Profusion'

Candytuft 'Dwarf Fairyland Mixed

Viola tricolor

Morning Glory 'Heavenly Blue'

Morning Glory 'Star Of Yelta'

Sunflower 'Mongolian Giant'

Californian Poppy 'Jelly Beans'

Cornflower 'Classic Fantastic'

Poppy 'Ladybird'

Calendula officinalis 'Neon'

Sunflower 'Solar Flash' F1 Hybrid

Stock 'Night Scented'

Linum grandiflorum 'Rubrum'

Poppy 'Red Pom Poms'

Easy Annuals 'Fairy Mixed'

Alyssum 'Snow Crystals'

Cornflower 'Polka Dot Mixed' - Part of the Alan Titchmarsh Collection

also going to do my window boxes and baskets with Petunias and Lobelia

01/03/2014 at 21:23

I can help (I hope) with a pic of night scented stock, from last year:

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/38642.jpg?width=512&height=350&mode=max

It has a very beautiful scent. It was a surprise, it came out a box of scented seed mix (£1 from Pound shop). I liked it so much I have two packets of seeds to sew this year 

01/03/2014 at 21:25

It's very pretty! It was the promise of the scent that attracted me, was thinking of also planting some in a container to have where we sit in the evenings!

Thanks for sharing!

02/03/2014 at 11:37

Well, if I were you I would order them in terms of height and colour and flowering time.  Sunflowers at the back - but will they be sheltered and have any support?  Do you have an aversion to yellow and pink together, or do you like a 'riot of colour'.  But maybe that won't matter if you look at the flowering months.  The colour wheel is helpful.  I am very partial to pink cosmos - cheap seeds seem to work, and I get massive waving flowers that go right into autumn - they would also be good at the back of a cottage border cos they get so tall.  But last year I noticed that they were in a bed with rudbekia, coreopsis and other yellow flowers, and clashed a bit, so I am trying T & M's yellow/orange/red dwarf cosmos this year, which will work better.  Your aubretia and allysum will go at the front of the border - they love to scramble down a wall, so great planted next to a retaining wall of a raised bed.  The allysum comes out later, the aubretia won't really make a statement until next year, but it is one of OH's favourite things in our garden.  The pinks will go behind them.  The poppies and cornflowers will go well together - in our garden we have the big oriental lipstick red poppies which are usually out at the same time as the delphiniums - a great combo, so if they are out with the cornflowers, the red and blue will be good - not sure of the flowering times of your varieties.  Morning glory I planted last year, but it didn't like it here, but it was not seed I would have bought for myself.  Be careful with that kind of blue - it will not work well with a more purpley blue in my opinion - it is quite 'true blue' for a flower.  Possibly it would work better with yellows or whites?  Perhaps your calendular?  Again, I don't know when these things will be in bloom.  And maybe plant some perennial seeds to give you somewhere to start from next year - I would recommend delphiniums for the back of the border - just love them, and they are a good colour match with all sorts of other flowers.  I don't have any pictures because I am just not the sort of gardener who takes pictures of the garden.  Another good space filler is to get a hazel twig obelisk and grow sweet peas up it. 

Lyn
02/03/2014 at 15:48

Petunia and loblelia and other things all grown from seed last year, except the fuchsia which was a cutting.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/38679.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

here is the candytuft, very easy to grow and will keep coming if you chop it back after the first flowering. 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/38680.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

02/03/2014 at 17:23

I grow things specifically so they self seed - poppies, aquilegia, alyssum and candytuft etc etc, but my primary desire is scent. I don't plant with tall things at the back, short at the front and I just like the hotchy potchyness of it doing as it pleases. What do you like? Do you like a more formal arrangement or are you happy for it to be looser? It might help to decided what kind of gardener you are. Perhaps you like colour schemes or big swathes of the same plant. Some lovely garden ideas on pinterest and other places to help you visualise what you would like. Good luck.

02/03/2014 at 18:09
http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/38692.jpg?width=350

Night scented stock as ground cover

02/03/2014 at 18:48
Thanks all! I think I'm a hodge podge kind of gardener, but as an artist I'm all about the colour! It's really good to see these plants in real life, gives me a much better idea!
-
03/03/2014 at 14:20

Can anyone say what flower it is in Lyn's basket in the bottom-centre,

between the lobelia, the red and carmine petunias (not the Brachyscome)?

-
07/03/2014 at 20:03

Ping (can we ping yet?)

07/03/2014 at 22:04

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/39110.jpg?width=205&height=350&mode=max

HI LBH, good luck with your new passion.

here is Morning glory heavenly blue

07/03/2014 at 22:49

That's very lovely looking Mrs G 

email image
12 messages