Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

help needed with identification

My first thought is fruit of the passion flower. Great to have such a helpful ID photo. I'm sure someone will be along in a short while who will know for sure and can answer the seed question.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

my first thought as well Flo

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,140

Yes, passiflora caerulea.

This is the flower http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=1386

This is it's fruit http://www.passionflow.co.uk/images/caerfruits.jpg 

It should grow from seed but I've not tried.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Everything grows from seed unless it's a sterile hybrid and they won't make any. You've got some seed, give it a try. I'd sow some now, fresh, indoors and some dried off, in spring. That way you have a double chance.

I just re-read your original post. It won't make a hedge on its own. It will need a fence/trellis or something. It's a climber.

It'll enjoy a sunny spot on well drained soil - my parents had a beauty climbing up the south face of their seaside home.  You could try cuttings - the rhs link above gives details - that way you're certain to get one that is true to type. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• kate1123kate1123 Posts: 2,815

I read this thread this morning and went to see if there was a fruit left in my garden, I have found one and will be attempting to grow a passionflower from seed now.

I did a little research and it seems that they need to be soaked for 24 hours and need 70 degree heat to germinate.

kate1123 wrote (see)

I did a little research and it seems that they need to be soaked for 24 hours and need 70 degree heat to germinate.

They didn't get that very often in my parents'  front garden (although it was south facing) and we did get self-sown babies from time to time.

It must have been great. I should put it on your regular walk for next summer.

• ThaiGerThaiGer Posts: 165

Look HERE also.You have luck of finding this plant. 

Hello break23, thanks for missing MY experienceimage. Something is so different to the methods in UK. Because of this I repress my own opinions sometimes. Anyway, I "work" not often with seeds (more cuttings). But If I want to grow from seeds, I pay attention to the following points. 1. Fruit seeds I store only for a short time, maximum 1 month-if they are kept moist and cool (not freezing!). Moisture allows the seeds to continue respiration, while cool temperatures inhibit fungal and bacterial activity, so that they do not rot during storage. 2. To prepare fruit seeds for storage, place them in a container with moist peat moss, sand or paper towels to keep them from drying out. Make sure, that the container admits a small amount of air (leave the lid loose or poke some holes), because fruit seeds will continue to respire or breathe and will suffocate if sealed into air-tight containers. Store in the refrigerator. Do not let the seeds freeze or dry out. Plant them so soon as possible because they will begin to mildew or rot because of their high moisture content. The same go for other seeds like tomatoes&Co. By this way, friends from Germany send me some seeds from "black" tomatoes. A good kind, but all the seeds are rotten during the 18! days on the Air-post to Thailand image . I hope, it help you a little and wish large success furthermore. Sawadi krap, ThaiGer.

...be happy and enjoy, I wish you many luckimage, and hope everybody have a brilliant summer! Maybe like HERE? Or inside this GC?image, ThaiGer.