Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Help needed

Please can anybody give me some information regarding a plant I've just bought not a lot of instructions with plant its called a Dipladenia some pictures

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

A house or greenhouse plant, needs a fairly constant temperature, I cannot see but they are usually wound round a cane support. It may need to be potted on slightly larger pot with a John Innes compost number three. It will need to be in a saucer topped up with water as they need a humid atmosphere, if you put gravel in the saucer it will keep the pot out of the water. It should be throwing out flower spikes at ten inches high they will be trumpet shaped probably pink.

In winter keep it fairly dry, damp it enough to keep it going not wet, Prune right back before setting it up for the winter months and do feed weekly from now to September.

Hope this helps, Frank.

• Thanks Palaisglide for you tips just noticed it as flower buds on.(Red)

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

I was given one of these last September - described as hardy but only to -5C which is no good to me and my garden so I put it on a sunny windowsill and it grew about 3' in the next couple of weeks.   Started climbing the curtain so I pruned it back but it was determined to grow.

I've now found a home for it where there's a cool conservatory and room for it to thrive.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato