Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
8 messages
10/03/2013 at 10:38
10/03/2013 at 10:39

And the question is go on give us a clue 

10/03/2013 at 10:54

ahhh go on ? just one

10/03/2013 at 11:22

Just starting a new plot and i have found out that i have lesser celandine growing over it.   ow can i get rid of it please

10/03/2013 at 11:57

Annie we know you question is about dahlia tubers-but what exactly?

10/03/2013 at 17:14
When do I plant them and is there a special way to split them
10/03/2013 at 17:19

You cannot plant them as dormant tubers in the garden till around May

You can start them now under cover with a little heat under cover or indoors- when you can see the individual eyes then you can split them- but if they are small tubers it is best not to

You can take cuttings or plant the whole thing out in May

Does that help?

24/03/2013 at 18:24

I keep my tubers in a stable/shed during winter in cardboard boxes and covered in hessian/fleece. Around late March/early April I pot up in potting compost and stand outside, moving them under cover if frost threatened, then back out again. Discard duff tubers that haven't survived the winter. Plant out end May in soil, perhaps a little sooner in South. I lose a few tubers each winter , but I always buy a few more to top up , chosing the colours /forms I like best that year. I am increasingly choosing single varieties with a pollen centre for thee bees , rather than the big blowsy varieties that the bees cannot dive into. (After first frost I start the process all over again by lifting them and storing in shed...I have never had the nerve to leave in soil over winter, and I think that is the right decision this year!)

Split by pulling apart by hand, no need to cut.

I don't disagree with sotongeoff, just do things differently. both methods work, it's up to you as to what suits you.

email image
8 messages