Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Help with id please....

WakouWakou Posts: 21

Hi green finger folks. I have this lovely thing in my garden. I can't remember it being there before. But I am not very observant. It grew underneath a bird feeder, so it might have seeded from there.With the help of google etc, I guesed that it might be some kind of geranium (cranesbill) BUT the seed-heads do not look anything like a bird's head.

• WakouWakou Posts: 21

Whatever it is, I would like to encourage it, and propagate it. Should I just scatter the seeds now? Plant them in the greenhouse? Or save them until spring?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Those seed pods are Malva rather than geranium. Might be Malva moschata, musk mallow (perennial) or something out of a packet of mixed annuals

In the sticks near Peterborough

I'd do a bit of everything, sow a few now (or when they're brown and ripe) save some to sow in spring and let it seed where it is.

That covers all possibilities.image

Thank you Nutcutlet. Approx 5 minutes between posting and getting expert advice!  xxxx

We're quick here.

A few more photos, the leave particularly, and lets us know how tall it is. Then we can probably say which malva. 

When it's all gone to seed, if you pull it and it comes out of the ground it's an annual. If it's firmly fixed it's perennial. Malva moschata will be very firmly fixed

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340

this was my malva moschata 'snow white' a few weeks ago - just before the storms ruined them- about 2ft tall

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Ta Pete. Mine is very similar, leaves are less 'fingery' .. I'll post some more detailed pics tomorrow..