Start a new thread

1 to 14 of 14 replies

4thPanda

I bought these from the local market stall and would like to plant them out in the garden for years of enjoyment.  Should I plant them fully into their new home or should they be planted with part of the bulb showing?  I am confused as you see these in grass sometimes.

Many thanks

nutcutlet

Twice the depth of bulb Panda

They're Irises

No, they're Panda's Nut.  If they're in those pots just plant level with the soil

4thPanda

God I feel an idiot!  They are indeed irises  

And to think, last year I thought I was getting good at identifying plants  

Thanks Nut  So, if I plant them out from the pot I should keep them level with the soil, but if they were just bulbs then they should be twice the depth?

Advertisement

Hostafan1

I've never had much joy having them in successive years, so I'd just enjoy them as they are .

Maybe someone can tell me where I've gone wrong with these reticulata  and danfordiae types.

No expert on this but do mice nibble these irises?  I too seem to lose them after a year or two

nutcutlet

It won't be me Hostafan, I have lots of leaves and the odd flower.

I noticed at a NT property I visited last week that where, a few years ago, there were lots, now there aren't

Oneofseven

Mine also disappear, which begs the question - how come there are new bulbs for us to buy every year?   Who works the magic?

Hostafan1

whew, I thought it was just me being an eejit.

4thPanda

Eek, mice!  Hope they won't have their wicked way with my bulbs  Guess I'll just plant and see

thanks all

nutcutlet

one of seven, they don't belong in the uk, I'm sure they flower and reproduce just fine in their native country.

Oneofseven

Thankyou, nutcutlet.   That does make sense.

Oneofseven

Thankyou, nutcutlet.   That does make sense.  I shall stop worrying when they disappear on me!

Edit:   Oops, double/half posting!