Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Help with shrubs pls

mardathamardatha Posts: 28

I would like to plant up a border with a few shrubs, and put flowers between and in front. The border is west facing, 3ft wide and 30 ft long, next to a leylandii hedge (next doors). Soil is absolute rubbish lol but I can feed. Looking for easy care, tough, pretty flowering, and able to withstand very cold winters. image I know you lot can help here lol

• QPootleQPootle Posts: 12

I have three different spirea (sp?) which do very well in my poor, sandy soil, and provide nice structure, although they are in a south facing border. I also find that dogwoods cope fine with the soil, and give nice winter stem colour, as well as attractive summer foliage. Buddleja too would do well but they are a bit of a marmite plant, I find!

• hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

Hebes, potentilla and lavender should all do well. The hedge will make your border quite dry so bear that in mind when buying plants. Add as much organic matter as you can to try and retain some of the moisture on your side.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,102

Hi Mardatha 

interesting that hat the boarders are only 3 ft deep. Would it be possible to make the boarder deeper and plant more out from the leylandi. I had the same problem and making the boarder a bit deeper and digging in manure and compost as allowed me to plant as I wish 

• mardathamardatha Posts: 28

The husband won't, his idea of a garden is grass - full stop.

I've got a couple bags of compost and manure, can dig that in - and I love lavender and buddleia, will google the others. Thanks!