London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
8 messages
22/09/2012 at 20:54

I bought a nepenthes distillatoria at a sale and now i dont know what to do with it ,i have read different reports and now am totaly confused,what do i do to grow it well ?

23/09/2012 at 08:19

Hi Tony, I have a pitcher plant and have only been growing them this year but up to now they seem to be doing well . I've also got a sundew and a venus fly trap. Your nepenthes is also called ''monkey cups '' and is slightly different to mine. I have the upright one. To be honest. i didn't know much about them at first but there is a lot of information on the web about carnivorous plants. The most important thing to remember is to never water them with tap water as they are very sensitive to chemicals and try not to touch the pitchers with your hands.

There are some posters on here that have them and one particular poster has a friend who has a nepenthes so may also reply. In the meantime. I'll send you this link. Even though this site sells carnivorous plants , there is a lot of useful information on it -http://www.littleshopofhorrors.co.uk/category/16/Monkey-Cups

Hope this helps.

Jean.

23/09/2012 at 17:05

Hi jean you have helped me no end ive got a good idea what to do now im very greatfull thanks very much. I,ll let you know how i get on.

23/09/2012 at 17:26

Glad to help Tony, Please do , as I said I've only been growing them this year . I've got to decide where to overwinter my flytrap now. Don't think hubby would like the idea of it in his beer fridge !!!

24/09/2012 at 21:12

Sorry but i forgot to ask what are you feeding them on as they have no pitchers ive been told folia feed but wich one and how much cheers,Beer fridges are sacrosanct so leave well alone.

24/09/2012 at 21:31

Tony Is it just a young plant ? The ones I have are quite mature and they feed themselves outside. Mine have traps and pitchers , but like I said , I have the upright pitchers . They've been outside all summer and I just left them to their own devices. Carnivorous plants will be entering a dormancy period now so I don't think it will need feeding but I'll see if I can find out some more info.  

25/09/2012 at 08:53

Hi Tony. Bit more information. Nepenthes are divided into 2 groups - highland and lowland. Yours is a lowlander that requires a lot of heat and humidity. Here's another link with has some more information on it.  As I stated , mine is a sarracenia which is totally different from yours and I have no experience of growing nepenthes. There is also a carnivorous plant forum so you may be interested in joining that. Anyway here is the link-http://www.pitcherplant.com/care_sheets/nepenthes_care.html

Good luck with your plant

Jean.

25/09/2012 at 21:16

Thanks again jean good luck with yours to 

email image
8 messages