London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
8 messages
10/04/2013 at 19:39

I have a smallish area ( more a triangle ) which i have decided to create a herb garden in. I have been looking at designs, and reading up on all things herbs...ideally evergreen varierty...aka...something to look at as well as too eat.

Any thoughts / or websites i can go too - which may illustrate how best to construct a..5ft x 5f ( triangle ) area of my garden. Happy to build it high - a couple of fee high anyway. Just ..any designs..and and type of plants.

Ideally i wanted  proper trees/shurbs at the back and the herbs more nearer the front. Any decent types of herbs, which will always grow?

10/04/2013 at 19:57

Hi Garjobo,

Take a look on here

http://pinterest.com/

you might have to trawl a little but there's loads of links to sites and how tos on there....

it's a little adictive.

Hope it helps!

10/04/2013 at 20:49

Herbs i would defo go with rosemary chives (nice flowers as well) oregano thyme and sage and would give you a nice evergreen herb garden with great herbs then put a few annuals during summer months.

would look great in a dry stone construction just like toby buckland did a few years ago on gardeners world

10/04/2013 at 20:49

How about a nice bay tree? They are evergreen.

Also How about Some Rosemary/Thyme? Those seem to do well here in the Winter.

10/04/2013 at 21:04

Make sure the bed is well-drained as most herbs prefer or even require this and many will not thrive in heavy and certainly not even slightly waterlogged soil.  You can do this by mixing in plenty of grit, sharp sand and/or perlite.  I like the idea of a Bay tree at the back.  They are slow growing so won't take over.  Rosemary is also evergreen and lives quite a while if it is happy with soil conditions.  Sage has lovely blue flowers and can also last for several years if cut back when it gets leggy.  Bees go crazy for any of the thymes. Oh, and if you like basil, there are lots of varieties with coloured leaves which can be very decorative planted at the front, but are annual and die at the first hint of frost. 

10/04/2013 at 21:27

THANKS for the replies, you chaps/ess know your onions well herbs don't you. I think I should of created this thread in the problem pages - appolgies.

Well...yes, a nice Baytree..amongst other plants..towards the backend of a 'curved' raised bed is what I am after. Asking the impossible question really as end of the day..i dont know myself how to construct a raised bed...a few pieces of old wood basically should do it.

Thanks for tip regarding loose/gritty soil etc...we have terrible clay..real sodden clay...however, i intend to churn it up a little, and basically build the raised bed a few feet above it..throwing in plenty of nice rich compost, manure and indeed sand/pepples.

To ask someone to come up with a 'design' for a area...6ft x 6f..almost triangled in shape..with a backdrop of sleepers and wanting half of it to be ..well..those baytree/tallish shrubs( the neighbours..outta sight outta mind kinda thing )...well..i know im asking too much. But if you chaps do know of a few decent sites for ideas for wooden structures please let me know. Obviously looking myself as well.

THANKS again for the replies. Appreicated.

10/04/2013 at 22:02

Fennels are lovely too (both the green and bronze leaves varieties). They were my latest addition to my herb corner this year.

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/21806.jpeg?width=244&height=350&mode=max

10/04/2013 at 22:03

Hi garjobo, one of the cheapest ways to build one is using decking boards (Wickes have a 25% discount on at the mo.)  You need to drive in 2" (5cm) square stakes of treated timber into the ground at the corners and about every 18" (40cm) along the sides, to hold the weight of the soil.  Best to use stainless steel or plated 2" (50mm) screws, or galvanised nails.  Drive in the corner posts first, taking care to keep them vertical then you can measure the boards and cut them to fit.

email image
8 messages