London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
17 messages
23/08/2012 at 14:53

I want to make a Herbaceous Perrenial Flowering Border. The area is already prepared and has Clematis on the trellis going up the fence and some annuals at the moment.

The site is 3metres wide and comes out 60cm from the fence

Does anyone have any recommendations on what I can plant?

Soil is Neutral to Slightly Acidic 

The plants could be up to 1metre high without really blocking out the Clematis

23/08/2012 at 15:08

I grow phlox.red perennial lobelia(not like the bedding type), alstroemeria,aster,echinacea-

just a few- that don't get that tall

23/08/2012 at 15:09

Heleniums, Lobelia Cardinalis, Salvias, Day Lilies, Sedums. You may need a theme to stop it looking bitty.

23/08/2012 at 15:15

I like the Perrenial Lobelia. Spotted it in the Garden Centre yesterday. It had a scarlet stem

23/08/2012 at 18:24
And the slugs just adore it.
23/08/2012 at 18:26
Would consider putting some spring flowering bulbs in - daffs, tulips etc. As the herbaceous stuff's coming up, the bulbs will be going over.
23/08/2012 at 18:32

I was thinking of doing that too. Theres a tonne of bulbs waiting dormant in the fridge at the moment.

Anyway here is the Bed

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/11144.jpg?width=264&height=350&mode=max

23/08/2012 at 18:38

One of the reasons why so many people are recommending perennial lobelia (I have some myself) is that it is in flower just now. However, you really want a variety of plants that will flower in the Spring, and mid-Summer, and, possibly, in late Autumn.

I'd also echo figrat's comment, that perennial lobelia is particularly vulnerable to slugs, far more so than most other plants.

I was going to suggest a couple of lupins - they flower a lot earlier in the year, though they too are highly vulnerable to slugs.

Perhaps you could do with some more varieties of clematis, to flower at different times to the one you have.

I'm not sure why you're rulling out annuals. Even if you have perennials you'll still need to do some maintence.

23/08/2012 at 18:43

i would plant.. penstemons... sedum... echinacea...day lilly...  weigelia (for some form) cransebill geraniums.. grannys bonnets... primulas (shaded by large plants) i could go on but yur bed is not large enough.. i like a mix of all those and flowers throughout year then.. and of course some bulbs..

23/08/2012 at 18:48

I'm not ruling out annuals totally. It's just that I have about 6 or 7 other beds and Countless pots closer to the house for annual plants :P

Thanks for all the recommendations by the way guys, some of those flowers are very pretty.

24/08/2012 at 00:03
Mattbeer87, you don't say if the site s sunny or shady. Is soil heavy or light? The perennial lobela needs moisture or it will wilt badly. If its sunny and dry what about artimesia Powys castle with its silvery foliage and eryngiums? And caryopteris, etc., for silver blue border?
24/08/2012 at 08:52

Full sun practically all day. Soil is part clay but I have improved it so its not so heavy. Area stays surprisingly moist.

24/08/2012 at 12:33

I have chosen and planted the flowers that I liked and that have a good heighth and spread.

I went for a Pink and White theme which I'm hoping will work well

I chose:

Anemone x Hybrida 'Andrea Atkinson'

Lobelia 'Russian Princess'

Penstemon Pensham 'Amelia Jane'

Leucanthemum 'Broadway Lights'

I will add spring and summer bulbs to this too so I have colour all the year round

24/08/2012 at 12:46

Sounds lovely, hope we will see photos next year.

28/01/2014 at 21:28

Never posted the photos for this thread so here goes!

Newly Planted 24/08/2012

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/36661.jpg?width=264&height=350&mode=max

And exactly a year later

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/36662.jpg?width=264&height=350&mode=max

28/01/2014 at 21:46

Most strange.  I was just thinking about herbaceous borders.  Then I spotted this thread.  Probably my notes will be of little help to the author however, let's try and spread a little enlightenment.

Herbaceous border.  For most of us we probably visualize the garden of a stately home etc.  A wall of vibrant colours etc.  Now to transfer that lengthy well stocked border into my tiny back yard. Certainly not easy.  For one thing.  That delightful border is possibly many decades old.  Well established.  In comparrason, ouy back yrad strip will, let's be honest.  Never look anything like that.  So.  Perhaps we might come down to earth.  Unless you have a very large garden, pots of money, or can employ a couple of top class gardeners/propagators.  Let's settle for.  That strip along side the lawn.  Most of these growing areas are not going to allow wide, deep planting.  So, whereas the traditional herbaceous borde contains mostly perennials.  For our tiny strip, go ahead and plant what is most pleasing to your eye.  Plant a mixture, of annuals, along with biennials and the perennials.  That way you will get a strip, that offers interest throughout the year.

29/01/2014 at 09:15

Yes, but get some foliage comtrast in there too.  The odd evergreen even if small.  The odd evergreen grass.  And something for the winter.  

email image
17 messages