London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
12 messages
26/10/2013 at 15:54

How do I winter our new bay plant, can it live outside. We live in East Yorkshire m

near the coast.

26/10/2013 at 15:57

Is it in a pot?

Mine lives outside in the ground. The roots are bit more at risk in a pot. 

26/10/2013 at 16:02

Yes it is

26/10/2013 at 16:04

I'm sure someone will come in and advise on this. I've never tried it in a pot

26/10/2013 at 16:30

How about wrapping the outside of the pot with some bubble wrap? That should give the pot some insulation.

26/10/2013 at 16:37

Good idea, but I guess I leave the plant uncovered?

26/10/2013 at 16:54

I had 2 in pots by my north facing porch for a couple of yrs. They came to no harm. 
Planted them in the garden a few yrs ago and have to hard prune regularly to keep them manageable. I've had a few leaves burned by cold dry wind, but they've survived the last couple of winters will no ill effect.

Here's some info from the RHS website- 

Container cultivation

• Use a soil-based compost, such as John Innes No 2 or a soilless compost, with extra grit added to improve stability and drainage
  • Water container-grown bay moderately. Over-watering can cause root damage
  • Add controlled-release fertiliser granules to the compost or a liquid feed every two weeks from mid-spring to late summer
  • Repot bay every two years in spring
  • Compost breaks down over time so, even if you don't repot regularly, it is good to lift the plant out of its pot and tease off a third of the roots before adding fresh compost and checking drainage. Remove and replace the top 5cm (2in) of compost from the top of the container
  • Bay can withstand temperatures down to -5°C (23°F), but frost and coldwinter winds can damage the foliage. Protect plants with fleece or take them indoors to a garage or even a cool room if temperatures fall below -5°C
  • The roots of container-grown plants are susceptible to freezing through the pot in a cold winter. Prevent this happening by using bubble wrap around the pot
  • Ensure the base of the container is raised off the ground by using pot feet (or bricks) to allow excess water to drain away and help prevent frost cracking the pot
  • Plants grown in the ground may suffer cold or wind damage to the current season's growth, which can be pruned out in the spring
  • Small greenish-yellow male or female flowers are produced in spring, followed by black berries on female plants

Good luck!
Pete

26/10/2013 at 17:04

Cheers, we do use a lot in cooking so would hate to loose it

26/10/2013 at 17:21

If you are really worried, try sinking the pot into the ground overwinter. This will stop the roots freezing and you can raise it in spring.

27/10/2013 at 15:59

it has to be in  a sheltered spot ,if its in  a pot it might be worth putting in shed as the frost will get in to the pot.

27/10/2013 at 16:07

I bring mine into an unheated GH each year, after it kept getting knocked back by the frosts.  It is doing much better now (been inside the last two winters)

27/10/2013 at 16:09

I hate to put a dampner on it but I nearly lost one planted in the ground the last cold winter we had.  I live on the Glos Hrfd Welsh border so fairly well south  It got caught by the weather and looked dead.  I  cut it down low, fed it and then it re-grew.  Therefore, if you can sink the pot in the ground and, if you hear of really cold frosty/snowy weather then cover with fleece.  I have just read Pete's message above and if you follow that you should be OK.   

email image
12 messages