London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
10 messages
13/11/2013 at 17:21

Hi hope this doesnt appear a silly question - but when do I plant young herbs (rosemary and thyme) I have prepared a herb border in a sheltered spot near the kitchen and have seen young plants at the local market WI stand can I plant now or wait till spring?

13/11/2013 at 18:18

I'd wait til spring now. I have these plants in the garden and they're mostly fine but I wouldn't put young ones out now

13/11/2013 at 18:26

I fully agree - both rosemary and thyme are Mediterranean plants and hate cold and wet.  Mature plants usually survive the Winter in the UK provided they don't get waterlogged but young ones will have real trouble establishing themselves at this time of the year.

13/11/2013 at 18:30

Do you have a greenhouse or conservatory you could shelter them in. Agree with above comments but if you can get a small crop during winter it will taste twice as good!

14/11/2013 at 19:34

Thanks for the advice - they have taken up residence for the winter on the kitchen windowsill

15/11/2013 at 23:07
I have both these plants outside in a sheltered position outside for several years , however , I them planted in pots with 50 percent grit mixed with the compost , I have also planted them in my allotment this year so it will be interesting if they live through the winter - give it a go next year
18/11/2013 at 14:51

I too am thinking about planting some herbs. I have a tiny bit of parsley in a pot outside which I am going to put in the greenhouse over winter to see if I can save it and I am going to buy some herb seeds this week if I can get them and plant them in pots in the newly bubble wrapped greenhouse! 

PS Just heard the weather forecast for  tonight and it's FROST! (haven't even got the seeds yet!) Oh well only to be expected.

18/11/2013 at 16:34

A light cool, not too warm window sill water sparingly and they should be ok till spring if you have neither a greenhouse or conservatory.

KEF
18/11/2013 at 19:13

Stilllearning, I agree your windowsill is your best option but if you have a warm kitchen on "mildish" dry days I'd pop them outside for a short spell, otherwise I think they will go leggy and a bit too pampered. My view

19/11/2013 at 11:45

Isn't Parsley pretty hardy? I have some in the veg. patch which is 18 months old and heading into it's second winter.

email image
10 messages