London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 13°C
17 messages
24/01/2013 at 20:54

new to computers so bare with me if i make mistakes. can i grow herbs from seed now in an unheated greenhouse? I'm in north west area. many thanks

24/01/2013 at 21:00

Most of our herbs come from warmer climes so I'd leave it a while. More likely to rot than germinate

24/01/2013 at 21:02

many thanks for your help.

24/01/2013 at 21:47
How about start them off on windowsill in the house, that's how I start all mine and I'm up near Scottish border.
24/01/2013 at 22:03

I think it's a bit early. When I start seeds early and put them on a windowsill they go a bit long and leggy, trying to reach the light. Then what do you do with them if it's still too cold for an unheated greenhouse?

24/01/2013 at 22:31

It depends what you are looking to grow herb wise. Is it traditional herbs like Rosemary, Thyme, Parsley etc or more of your uncommon ones?

25/01/2013 at 07:16
I have to rely on house windowsills to start all mine off. I do basil, parsley and sage. I have tried the wait and greenhouse approach but means May before I'm getting going , last year I did the inside the house method and they worked great, potted them on and had them in trays inside the house until warmer weather. I don't have a large greenhouse or heated being a novice and although only 40minutes from my mum my garden is a month behind her all year round.
25/01/2013 at 07:51

Hello Bunny, if it works for you then I think I don't have enough window sills in the right places. Houses in France have windows that open inwards (easier to clean), but they often don't have indoor window sills and mine are mostly north and west facing. I've tried putting aluminium foil on one side of the inside of the propagater but it didn't really work.

25/01/2013 at 07:56
I have a lot of windows Busy Lizzie (big house) and only me and OH in it so I take over when I can....some are southfacing , rest west and east so I move them around the house (dormer bungalow) .
I'd swap any day for your life in France and forget the herbs !!!! ))
25/01/2013 at 12:43
I always leave the sowing of my Basil's until the end of April - they grow better when it is a bit warmer
Pam LL x
25/01/2013 at 17:09

I'm also in the northwest, (Lancs) I've had limited success with herbs, up until this year I've never had a greenhouse, technically I still don't..... it's still waiting to go up! I've tried growing on window sills all round the house and also waiting until later in the year and and just sowing straight out.

Tarrogon went well, as did Corriander, chives and parsley.

Thyme, Rosemary and sage where bought as small pot plants and went into large containers... doing well thanks!

However Basil not so clever! although it might have been a bit too soggy this year...

Borage did well and the camomile is quite happy, and I swear by lavender wherever you are, it's such a roughty toughty!

I do plan to use the greenhouse this year though. I've found the temp and conditions in our house aren't great for garden plants,

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

26/01/2013 at 08:48
MoonlitHare- This is how I grow my Basil's - I sow a few seeds in 3" pots and when they get to 2" - 3" tall pot them as they are into 4" - 5" pots.when these are growing well I pot them on into 6" - 7" pots- they stay in these all summer and provide me with all the leaves I need. I keep them in my greenhouse apart from my African Blue which are perennial and they make wonderful small bushes with gorgeous purple flowers much loved by the bees
Pam LL x
26/01/2013 at 12:07
I do the same lilylouise , I bring them into house one at a time then swap one back for a new plant , OH calls my greenhouse the basil hospital as I have so many plants on the go through summer....we love basil !!!!

I have used supermarket basil before , split it all up and into individual pots , and potted on as they have grown, worked well also.
26/01/2013 at 18:36

Thanks Lilylouise & bunnysgarden, I'll give it a go I'm expecting the much belovveds assistance putting up the greenhouse in the next couple of weeks... maybe just a tad excited! ........ well actually, I can't wait!

26/01/2013 at 18:45
What fun moonlit hare , I love mine once I get in there I'm always there ! When OH put the concrete base in mine he had me out my initials and yr in the concrete , still makes me smile as I step inside
26/01/2013 at 20:58
You will get so much pleasure from your greenhouse Moonlit Hare -I know I do -)
Pam LL x
29/01/2013 at 15:02

I couldn't be without mine now. I have become as clean in there as the house and I can be in it in all weathers 

email image
17 messages