London (change)
Today 17°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 11°C
21 to 27 of 27 messages
19/02/2013 at 19:28

Hiya,  I am going to keep an eye out, replanting at a deeper level is too much for me, I don't understand fully why a plant would want you to do that for them.  As I say I am not a sophisticated gardener, if a plant doesn't work I just try another type, spot etc.  Having said this good luck to everyone!

ps.Verdun I will let you know how I get on with Rings of Fire here.

19/02/2013 at 20:14
Dreamsofspring. Heucheras are woody things and naturally try to grow out of the ground ....that's why you plant them deeply. Most plants would not like that
18/08/2013 at 21:27

I was hoping that Heuchers might be useful to provide winter colour in plant pots over the winter. Am I being too ambitious or even deluded?

18/08/2013 at 21:41

Hiya scottcake

Neither too ambitious nor deluded.  Could I suggest you use John innes compost though?  Two reasons....firstly Heucheras like good soil.  Secondly vine weevils......their arch enemy.....prefer mpc.  I would also top dress with grit as an additional deterrent to vine weevil

18/08/2013 at 22:23

Scottcake I had some in pots last winter as I was between houses. They grew really well and needed very little attention. Split them and repotted them once I'd moved end of February then  planted them out in the spring. Mine were all tiny little seedlings collected from some steps at work just over a year ago. All good big plants now 

04/05/2014 at 18:30

I collected the tiny seed last year then planted them in Feb 2014 and currently got 100s of tiny plants of various colours. The reddish leaved ones are growing fast but the yellow leaved ones are still tiny but finally getting there 2nd leaves. I'm looking forward to seeing some new crosses and possibly new colours.

06/05/2014 at 13:48

I'm a big fan of heuchera, most of the ones i have originated from terra nova in the US and i tend to stick to their planting guidelines. 

Here's a list of some of the ones i grow and where i have them.

Lime Marmalade - in damp shady clay does very well.

Berry smoothy - also in the damp shady clay, also does well tends to die down more than the lime ones do.

Delta Dawn - full sun, dryish site doing well.

Marmalade - full sun, well drained - prolific

Ginger Peach - full sun, well drained prolific (very similar to marmalade)

Midnight Rose - full sun, well drained doing well.

email image
21 to 27 of 27 messages