London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
11 messages
09/07/2012 at 15:58

Can anyone tell me about this plant. I've been told that it is good in a shaded border.

09/07/2012 at 17:16

It will do well in semi-shade, al. Mine don't get sushine until gone mid-day, and it goes off them at about 4 pm. They will do OK in full shade as long as the soil is permanently damp. They are woodland plants.

Whatever the colour they always seem to be bright, probably because the crinkly leaves always reflect what light there is.

09/07/2012 at 17:16

| have these in my front garden border. They are really lovely, and they come in such lovely colours. Some of mine are in shade and some do get the sun and both have done really well. I got mine from Lidl a couple of years ago and they are well established now.

09/07/2012 at 17:18

It is but there are many forms and many foliage colours as well as flower spikes in white, pink, coral, salmon or red, depending.   You can have plain green foliage, various shades of purple with or without silvery threading, plus caramel coloured ones.

Have alook at this site to get some idea of the range - http://www.heucheraholics.co.uk/ 

09/07/2012 at 17:44

Some of my Heuchera are very old species from my Fathers garden they like mainly shade and have deep red spikes. Some of the dark leaved ones like semi shade, they do grow larger and spread more quickly.
The older ones have a tendency to push the crowns out of the ground so I mulch them, after two or three years divide them putting them deeper into the ground.
They can suffer from leafy gall.

Frank.

09/07/2012 at 19:30

Thank you, for all you advice folks. I really appreciate it. 

09/07/2012 at 19:33

IME they do cope quite well with dryer conditions. My part shade borders are caused by neighbouring overhanging trees, plus their roots, so moist soil just doesnt exist in this garden.J.

10/07/2012 at 13:38

My main tip would be to go and choose them from a garden centre, don't try to order them online (even though you get a better range that way). Individual plants vary so much in colour, and many plants change colour throughout the year, so photos really don't do them justice. 

10/07/2012 at 14:18

Thanks for your advice. I'm now off to the garden centre.

10/07/2012 at 18:22
I have several all around the garden, in sun and shade and they are all doing well. They are easy to divide too, I love them especially the dark red ones.
10/07/2012 at 22:53
I have one of the bright green ones with tiny pale pink flowers in full sun and it's quite large now, likes spreading its seeds around too. Just looked at heucheraholics site didn't realise there were so many. I still like the old fashioned ones best though.
email image
11 messages