Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Hi, Newbie - Has Anyone Seen This Poppy Before ?

Hi everyone.

I've been browsing this great forum for a while now, so decided that I better join.

My first post is a query about the ID of a poppy which flowered in my garden today.

When I went out earlier, I noticed a very pretty partially opened flower. When I took a closer look, I was very surprised to see that it was a poppy, but not anything I had planted there myself. I did sow some Papaver commutatum "Ladybird" in that area in early June after buying the seed at Gardening Scotland on 1st June this year. I loved the contrast of black spots against deep red, so was looking forward to getting some flowering lateish in the season. BUT, instead of a red poppy with black spots at the base.....I found this !

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/116812107739021123761/albums/6059776719759977537/6059777179785522594?pid=6059777179785522594&oid=116812107739021123761

Has anyone seen a poppy like this before ?

I've searched the net but couldn't find anything like it.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I'm not allowed to view your picimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • image I was having problems trying to upload it. The link should take you to google drive, where I had to upload to because photobucket won't let me log in for some reason.

I'll try to sort it image

• I could describe the flower just now while I try to sort the photo upload.

If you imagine a pure white poppy - thin, translucent, pure white petals. Then, about 2cm up from the base of each petal, the white fans out into the edge of deep salmon pink, with darker salmon pink veining.The salmon pink colouring continues each petal, becoming paler as it gets near to the top.

The salmon pink then merges into pure white again from around 1cm from the top of each petal, with the very top being pure white.

The flower hasn't fully opened yet, but I'll measure the width/diameter when it does.

• Does this link work anyone ? Set to public so hope it works image

http://plus.google.com/photos/116812107739021123761/albums/6059795903019138369

Thanks.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

They look a lot like poppy angels choir

• Very pretty image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Welcome to the forum PinkandWhitePoppy.  Wonder where you got that nameimageimage

It's a beauty.

Got it now, very nice.image

I've seen similar colour mixes but not out of a packet of P. commutatum

• granmagranma Posts: 1,933

Your poppy is beautiful, are you going to collect the seed ,try your luck next year?