7 messages
02/11/2012 at 20:44

I have a hisbiscus which hasnt been too succesful over the summer, I'm thinking of moving it and putting it into a pot.  Can some one let me know if I can dig it up now or do I have to wait.  Many thanks

02/11/2012 at 20:59

What sort of hibiscus is it- do you know?

Some are not hardy in the uk and need to be bought under cover in any case-so pot is a good idea

03/11/2012 at 22:09

Hello sotongeoff

Not sure of the variety but it definetly is a hardy plant as it survived outside last winter, its blue in colour, dont know if that helps at all.  thanks.

04/11/2012 at 09:14

Hi Sue, I think your hibiscus could be '' Oiseau Bleu '' They are the hardy type and you can move it any time in the autumn providing the ground isn't waterlogged or frozen.

I love hisbiscus for their big showy flowers . I have a chinese hibiscus in the conservatory which is stiil flowering now but mine isn't hardy. It does go outside for a summer holiday though.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/15482.jpg?width=300&height=350&mode=max

04/11/2012 at 10:37
Hi sue, how tall is it? I grow the hardy hibiscus too but it can sometimes be slow to get established. They are also very late to leaf in the spring. They need to be in a sunny spot but I guess you may know that already. not sure if putting it in a pot is a good idea. ,do you want to pot it simply because it hasn't done too well so far because it may surprise you by growing well next year?
04/11/2012 at 11:06
Sue 27 wrote (see)

Hello sotongeoff

Not sure of the variety but it definetly is a hardy plant as it survived outside last winter, its blue in colour, dont know if that helps at all.  thanks.

Possibly something like this~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n627/thedogcody/blue20satin20hibiscus.jpg

Anything can be grown in a pot-if you want to pot it up do it now-they are relatively slow growing but can get quite big as well-as they are virtually dormant now is a good a time as any- get up as much of the rootball as you can.

05/11/2012 at 21:36

Thanks everyone for taking the trouble to reply to my enquiry.  Yes it is like the one above but I must admit the flowers have never been as large as those.  I did think I had lost it last winter as it seemed to take forever to come into leaf. I think I planted it in the wrong position too, it was rather hidden in the shade.  That is the reason I want to pot it because I can then move it around to the sunniest part of the garden. Cheers.

email image
7 messages