London (change)
Today 24°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 17°C
6 messages
09/10/2012 at 13:06

Hi

I have grown hollyhocks for the first time this year and had such a good show from them that I would like some advice on how I winter them?  They look so attractive in my cottage garden but I am wondering if I have to lift them over winter or cut them back.  I would be glad of any advice.

Thank you

Willie

09/10/2012 at 13:13

Cut them back after flowering -down to the ground-they will flower again next year-no need to lift

The really big drawback is they are susceptible to rust-and that often appears in the second year so often treated as biennials and new plants raised from seed or plants brought in.

There are varieties that are more resistant than others to the disease

09/10/2012 at 13:31

Definitely don't try to lift them. They have deep roots and are not easy to transplant. Some people have had hollyhocks that have lasted for many years. They ought to get bigger and better each year.

10/10/2012 at 08:01

Once you've cut them back you can mulch around them - that is said to help control rust.

10/10/2012 at 13:06

Many thanks guys for your advice and great to hear that I will get an even better show next year with any luck.

10/10/2012 at 14:57

Thanks Alina, I was wondering what I could do to prevent rust on my "old" hollyhocks.  Have got a nice lot of leaf mould from last autumn I can use so hopefully that will do the trick.

email image
6 messages