London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 15°C
4 messages
30/07/2013 at 18:02

Hi,

I would like to know if it is possible to grow a Hollyhocks from a stem cutting?

The other day I became a little over excited and bought a few cheep sell off plants at a local garden centre. In all the mad rush and polite fighting between other customers I went and bought a dilapatid hollyhocks. Anyway started to plant it today and it seems one of the stalks has simply been broken off by something or someone before purchase and just popped back into soil, grrrrr. I have it in water at the moment and the rooting homorne on standby should the water not do the trick in producing a root.

Bit more information about the stem I have in water as there are two flowers blooming on it at current but did manage to say one side of the plant which does have a root, so at least my £1.00 plant was not a complete waste.

Thanks in advance,

Simon

30/07/2013 at 21:29

Hollyhocks are perennials so the bit with the root will grow and flower next year. The bit that you put into water should root if there is a nubbly bit at the root end and not just a chopped off bit of stem like a cut flower. But if it's in water then it will need a bit of help so I would cut off the flower. In fact I would trim the whole thing down to about 8 inches or so and pull off any big or damaged leaves because it wll lose water through these. 

30/07/2013 at 21:38

Thanks Waterbutts, will have a look at the little fella I have and see what i can do. Think you'll start having to charge for your advice ha ha

30/07/2013 at 23:40

Oh I can waffle on all day long. Nobody usually listens. Family have got special ears that roll up when I start....

email image
4 messages