London (change)
Today 15°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 7°C
6 messages
22/04/2013 at 11:04

I grew some Honesty plants from seed last year and I haven't yet got them in the ground but they have started flowering in their pots. I would now like to plant them in a wildish grassy area but they are a bit spindly, if I trimmed the plants back and removed the flowers would they flower again soon or would I be better just enjoying the flowers they have now?

22/04/2013 at 18:51

I think if you remove the flowers you will have to start again with new seed.  They certainly will not repeat flower if you remove the flowers now.

I'm not really sure if they are bienniel or perenniel.  Plant them out as they are.

22/04/2013 at 20:12

It is a biennial. If you plant them and they survive, they will seed themselves around the area, providing there is enouigh bare earth to give them a start.

22/04/2013 at 20:31

I find honesty doesn't like being pricked out/ potted on etc and goes far better in the garden. GG is right, bare soil not grass. I haven't done anything with mine for years, it just keeps going round. But I did try to grow some of the white variegated ones in pots to give to friends and that's when I found they didn't respond well.

23/04/2013 at 10:20

Thanks for the answers, decision made. I'll plant them out as they are now and maybe collect the seed for sowing myself as I have very clay soil and nothing seems to self seed in my garden.

23/04/2013 at 10:24

I'd certainly plant the out and save some seed. But leave some seed and see what happens, it seeds on the clay parts of my garden as well as the better bits. 

email image
6 messages