Start a new thread

1 to 9 of 9 replies

Hello everyone 

This is my first post on this forum I've been lurking for a while to try and get a feel for it  

I'm a very new gardener - only been doing it for 3 or 4 years. I recently moved and now have a large garden. The previous owners kept it weed free and lawn (which covers most of it) mown but that's it - borders all empty so it's a bit of a blank canvas.

This is my question, if anyone can help I would very much appreciate it:

In my previous garden there was a lovely honeysuckle. I'm a bit of a bug fanatic and I loved it because it attracted moths at night. I decided to take cuttings 2 years ago and one took. It grew well for a while but in the spring most of the leaves all went crinkly and seemed to have caterpillars in them then most of them fell off and I thought it was dead.

However, it held on and lasted through another winter. Ths summer it had really perked up but didn't grow any larger. I repotted it in early August and it has since grown really nicely and quite a few new shoots have emerged. It's about 15cm tall with 5 or 6 shoots all of various heights and all bar one are woody and mature looking.

For both winters I kept it under cover in a plastic mini greenhouse. 

What should I do now? Leave it outside over winter? Put in mini greenhouse thingy or in cold frame? Plant it? If I should not plant it now, when should I plant it? Should I be concerned if the leaves all fall off again?

Sorry for rambling! If you can help I will be forever in your debt! Thank you for reading!

Helo Phasnid, welcome

I'd plant it out. Autumn is a good time for shrub planting

Hi Phas yesterday i was looking online for advice on honeysuckle ,,go to RHS Honeysuckle there is loads of good advice there for looking after them i put one 12 inches high 80% shade last year against a north facing wall on a fan and gave it Nettle juice then comfrey its now over the 8 foot high wall and fanned out 10 foot and was full of first year flowers, give it a go outside now,good well drained mulched soil and watch it grow.

The leaves will drop off in winter.  Honeysuckles are bone hardy, so prepare a nice hole for it, and plant it outside, in a sunny position.

It will grow new leaves in spring and romp away.

Thank you so much for your advice everyone! I will definitely check out the RHS page and I will plant it out at the weekend. 

Allan4711 that's amazing?! 8ft! There's an inherited one in the garden currently against a North facing fence and it hasnt  done well at all - a shame because it has beautiful red/pink flowers which I've never seen before. It could be because that corner is very dry and I neglected the watering of it over summer. I thought that shady areas would not need so much water but apparently when there is a big tree growing overhead it can make the area under the canopy very dry (there is an absolutely ginormous oak tree about 15-20 foot away and the fence is definitely under the canopy although it does get some sun). 

You live and learn eh? 

Thanks again all!

Oh fidgetbones if you see this thanks for your comment! What does bone hardy mean? i have tried google but couldn't find anything that defines it - just articles about bone hardy plants... I don't have any gardening books yet otherwise I would try that! 

Hi, 'bone hardy' is a colloquial  expression meaning 'tough as old boots', 'hard as nails' etc. 

Sounds like you're a natural gardener - you're observing and learning 

Phasmid, if you do plant out now I would have some fleece handy to cover during the coldest time over winter.  Although honeysuckles are hardy,some varieties are less so and young plants are more vulnerable to frost.  ( personally I would not have planted out until the spring but it's just my view)

Thanks for the letting me know what bone hardy means - now I know why it didn't come up on google! I planted the honeysuckle today so I will make sure I protect it if it gets very cold, to be on the safe side!

thanks all!