London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 9°C
9 messages
18/09/2013 at 08:10

Hello everyone 

This is my first post on this forum I've been lurking for a while to try and get a feel for it  

I'm a very new gardener - only been doing it for 3 or 4 years. I recently moved and now have a large garden. The previous owners kept it weed free and lawn (which covers most of it) mown but that's it - borders all empty so it's a bit of a blank canvas.

This is my question, if anyone can help I would very much appreciate it:

In my previous garden there was a lovely honeysuckle. I'm a bit of a bug fanatic and I loved it because it attracted moths at night. I decided to take cuttings 2 years ago and one took. It grew well for a while but in the spring most of the leaves all went crinkly and seemed to have caterpillars in them then most of them fell off and I thought it was dead.

However, it held on and lasted through another winter. Ths summer it had really perked up but didn't grow any larger. I repotted it in early August and it has since grown really nicely and quite a few new shoots have emerged. It's about 15cm tall with 5 or 6 shoots all of various heights and all bar one are woody and mature looking.

For both winters I kept it under cover in a plastic mini greenhouse. 

What should I do now? Leave it outside over winter? Put in mini greenhouse thingy or in cold frame? Plant it? If I should not plant it now, when should I plant it? Should I be concerned if the leaves all fall off again?

Sorry for rambling! If you can help I will be forever in your debt! Thank you for reading!

18/09/2013 at 08:23

Helo Phasnid, welcome

I'd plant it out. Autumn is a good time for shrub planting

18/09/2013 at 10:09
Hi Phas yesterday i was looking online for advice on honeysuckle ,,go to RHS Honeysuckle there is loads of good advice there for looking after them i put one 12 inches high 80% shade last year against a north facing wall on a fan and gave it Nettle juice then comfrey its now over the 8 foot high wall and fanned out 10 foot and was full of first year flowers, give it a go outside now,good well drained mulched soil and watch it grow.
18/09/2013 at 12:13

The leaves will drop off in winter.  Honeysuckles are bone hardy, so prepare a nice hole for it, and plant it outside, in a sunny position.

It will grow new leaves in spring and romp away.

18/09/2013 at 19:57

Thank you so much for your advice everyone! I will definitely check out the RHS page and I will plant it out at the weekend. 

Allan4711 that's amazing?! 8ft! There's an inherited one in the garden currently against a North facing fence and it hasnt  done well at all - a shame because it has beautiful red/pink flowers which I've never seen before. It could be because that corner is very dry and I neglected the watering of it over summer. I thought that shady areas would not need so much water but apparently when there is a big tree growing overhead it can make the area under the canopy very dry (there is an absolutely ginormous oak tree about 15-20 foot away and the fence is definitely under the canopy although it does get some sun). 

You live and learn eh? 

Thanks again all!

18/09/2013 at 20:00

Oh fidgetbones if you see this thanks for your comment! What does bone hardy mean? i have tried google but couldn't find anything that defines it - just articles about bone hardy plants... I don't have any gardening books yet otherwise I would try that! 

19/09/2013 at 08:37

Hi, 'bone hardy' is a colloquial  expression meaning 'tough as old boots', 'hard as nails' etc. 

Sounds like you're a natural gardener - you're observing and learning 

19/09/2013 at 08:55

Phasmid, if you do plant out now I would have some fleece handy to cover during the coldest time over winter.  Although honeysuckles are hardy,some varieties are less so and young plants are more vulnerable to frost.  ( personally I would not have planted out until the spring but it's just my view)

21/09/2013 at 23:38

Thanks for the letting me know what bone hardy means - now I know why it didn't come up on google! I planted the honeysuckle today so I will make sure I protect it if it gets very cold, to be on the safe side!

thanks all!

email image
9 messages