London (change)
Today 9°C / 7°C
Tomorrow 9°C / 5°C
9 messages
04/07/2012 at 17:36

hi can anyone tell when i cantake honeysuckle cuttings and any tips

04/07/2012 at 17:44

I find layering is the simplest way to propagate honeysuckle

I'd do it now - conditions are ideal (well they're ideal here in the Eastern UK) damp and warm, and the honeysuckles are growing well and the shoots are nice and flexible.

04/07/2012 at 17:46

nice one Dovefromaabove  many thanks

04/07/2012 at 17:48

Ive very successfully taken cuttings from various honeysuckle. What I do is take a soft cutting about 8inches or so, nip any flower off, take at least 8 of them have a pot ready with a mix of sand and compost and poke the cuttings round the edge of the pot about half the cutting in. I didnt put a bag over them I made sure they were damp and left them in a cool area of the garden checking them after about six weeks. Give them a gentle tug if theyve formed roots they wont pull out.  Good Luck

04/07/2012 at 17:52

Cheers weejenny

04/07/2012 at 19:57

You can cut above a pair of leaves and then make a lower cut about halfway between the leaf joints (I think this is called a double eye leaf bud cutting) then dip the end of the stem into rooting powder or gel. Cuttings should be taken when the plant is growing well - about now, really. As weejenny says, put them in well-drained soil to root and keep the cuttings in shade but keep moist. They root well kept inside the house, too, because of the extra warmth. I usually put a plastic bag over the top and tie it to keep moisture in myself. Apparently, you can also root them in water, though I've never tried it. You take a long cutting and put the bottom 8 invhes in water, change the water every three days and it is supposed to m ake roots in about a fortnight. Think I'll try it this year, actually.

04/07/2012 at 20:49

I took some cuttings about a week ago using the above methods and so far they are still alive...... although I didn't use rooting powder, didn't put a plastic bag over but did put them in the greenhouse.   I think I might try popping some cuttings in water too as that sounds a good idea to try (thank you Gardening Grandma)   Good luck 4711 with your cuttings.

06/07/2012 at 16:26

cheers all many thanks

24/05/2013 at 19:25

I'm going to try all thes e methods

thankyou all

email image
9 messages