Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

honeysuckle

Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

hi can anyone tell when i cantake honeysuckle cuttings and any tipsimage

cheers

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I find layering is the simplest way to propagate honeysuckle http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?PID=358

I'd do it now - conditions are ideal (well they're ideal here in the Eastern UK) damp and warm, and the honeysuckles are growing well and the shoots are nice and flexible.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

nice one Dovefromaabove  many thanks

• weejennyweejenny Posts: 386

Ive very successfully taken cuttings from various honeysuckle. What I do is take a soft cutting about 8inches or so, nip any flower off, take at least 8 of them have a pot ready with a mix of sand and compost and poke the cuttings round the edge of the pot about half the cutting in. I didnt put a bag over them I made sure they were damp and left them in a cool area of the garden checking them after about six weeks. Give them a gentle tug if theyve formed roots they wont pull out.  Good Luck

Cheers weejennyimage

•  

You can cut above a pair of leaves and then make a lower cut about halfway between the leaf joints (I think this is called a double eye leaf bud cutting) then dip the end of the stem into rooting powder or gel. Cuttings should be taken when the plant is growing well - about now, really. As weejenny says, put them in well-drained soil to root and keep the cuttings in shade but keep moist. They root well kept inside the house, too, because of the extra warmth. I usually put a plastic bag over the top and tie it to keep moisture in myself. Apparently, you can also root them in water, though I've never tried it. You take a long cutting and put the bottom 8 invhes in water, change the water every three days and it is supposed to m ake roots in about a fortnight. Think I'll try it this year, actually.

• I took some cuttings about a week ago using the above methods and so far they are still alive...... although I didn't use rooting powder, didn't put a plastic bag over but did put them in the greenhouse.   I think I might try popping some cuttings in water too as that sounds a good idea to try (thank you Gardening Grandma) image  Good luck 4711 with your cuttings.

cheers all many thanks

• gingermintgingermint Posts: 1

I'm going to try all thes e methods

thankyou all