Start a new thread

1 to 13 of 13 replies

hollie hock

These are photos of the honeysuckle that is growing through my neighbours conifers. Its got pale lemon flowers and smells gorgeous.

The first pic is over the outhouses

This is a stem that I'm thinking of cutting off and circling in a pot with the bottom of the shoots slightly under the soil. Cover with a polythene bag?

Or could I use these green tips like penstenom cuttings?

It looks really healthy so good cutting material, thanks for any info

Why don't you just layer one in a pot or the ground hollie hock. Softwood cuttings are easy as well. Lots of lovely new growth there begging for propagation.

Fairygirl

Layering works well  with honeysuckles hollie - just like strawberries 

That reminds me - did you take any strawberries with you to your new house? I can send you more if you want any. 

hollie hock

Morning, thank you for your advice. The difficulty with layering is that the shoots are about 6ft off the ground! I suppose I could fill a pot and plonk the offshoots in and leave it on the shed roof

Been looking up soft wood cuttings too, going to give both a go. Just a quick shop at Wilkos needed.

Well done aym on your success with air layering. 7 new acers and a peach is a great result.  I remember reading about this in the Dr Hessayan Expert books on houseplants. You can take cheese plant cuttings this way, I've not tried it though.

Hi Fairy, yes I think we've still got them as well as the Londons pride which is starting to clump up nicely. Your Verb B cuttings that you sent me are still alive, haven't had the heart to cut them down yet, which reminds me that I could have a go at taking cuttings from them

Hope everyone is getting some sunshine today

nutcutlet

Might be worth trying layering on the roof if you can get the pot secure.

I'd go with the cuttings, you never know when your neighbour might decide to hard prune the honeysuckle

Advertisement

hollie hock

Hi nut, I'm thinking that that if I use a big enough pot maybe with some small stones in the bottom, it will stay put. I'll try the cuttings too.

My neighbour doesn't prune anything infact it's been a long long time since any gardening's been done there. It's a true undergrowth of brambles and bind weed.I don't see it because of the conifers and fence and fortunatly it doesn't take any light away from my side. I just have to keep an eye on the bind weed in the Summer.  I like to think his garden is very wildlife friendly hopefully there's some hedgehogs in there somewhere

hollie hock

My first attempt at layering. I've covered the top now with some stones to try and help with mosture and it's very hot up there and watering will be a pain

When I was up there I pulled a lot of it across to grow over our shed so it should spread over so we get the benefit our side.

Took a few cuttings as well, a couple have drooped ever so slightly but so far so good with the others. Thanks for your help

nutcutlet

Try everything, something will work. You can always take more cuttings when the growth is a bit less soft

hollie hock

Love that approach nut, yes have got plenty of material to work with

hollie hock

Hi aym, I've the got the cuttings under some freezer bags on a bottom shelf in one of my frames I gave them a good water before they went under so just wait and see now. 

Thanks for the link, I have a jackmanii clem that I was looking at today.

All tips greatfully recieved I love propagation, had lots of fun today!

hollie hock

I'm a girl How about you?

The jackmanii was bought a few years ago for my first garden it's survived a couple of moves and it looks happy where it is now. I thought I'd killed it last year by pinching it out, but there are some green shoots starting on the lower bits so I it looks like I got away with it.

I like how our plants have stories and histories attached to them

hollie hock

I think we are going to be here a while. The garden is small, the traditional long terrace shape. I'm going to run out of space so some climbers will give me some more privacy as well as more growing room.

Gardens can be grown anywhere and I think I'm always going to be a girl! Good to meet you aym

hollie hock

Well I ventured up on the out house and  I have success! I know one piece has rooted as I could see them just at the surface. The two other stems are bit eaten but there is green growth along them.

Decided to do the snip as I don't think it will be long before it dies back. It's had a good drink, fresh top dressing of compost and is now in a brighter spot. No roots at the bottom of the pots yet but the pots are big so it will be a while. I'm thinking that this will ok left outside with no protection?

Here's my new Honeysuckle

It took about 5 months, so not long really. First successful propagation of these Thanks