Start a new thread

1 to 17 of 17 replies

4thPanda

Hi all

Last summer I threw some seeds around and I have several of these lurking in the border . . . . Can someone identify if it is a weed or not as they are starting to thrive and I will need to remove if they need to come up.

Thanks

Beaus Mum

sorry panda I think its a weed too

4thPanda

Double poo  

And thanks 

KEF

Soz it's a weed so on your knees and dig it out 

Advertisement

4thPanda

Not just the one KEF, I have at least 3  

Hi panda have sympathy with you  I've spent the afternoon sorting out a big border and found three healthy plants I thought were hardy geraniums I purchased last year so I lifted them and replanted with FB&B and fresh compost pleased they had survived the winter  

When himself checked they are buttercups whoops

I was out looking for my Snakes Head Frittilias only to find a positive sea of Hardy Geraniums , no sign of my snake heads

DorsetUK

If it's ragwort please don't chuck it over the hedge/fence if there's cattle or horses next door or likely to be

It is always worth keeping a ragwort in any 'wild' area you may have for the caterpillers of the Cinnabar moth to feed on. Worth reading up on though as ragwort is poisonous to some animals.

4thPanda

There are many words to describe my neighbours Dorset, but cattle isn't one of them  I'm ok as I live in the middle of a city  When pulled up it will be consigned to the green/brown bin.  Thanks for the info HG - I did think it looked quite pretty but would be in the wrong place in the garden.

There are a lot of excessively negative reactions when it comes to ragwort. Personally I find it very attractive, it's very good for a whole range of insects (bees, hoverflies, cinnnabar moth and others), and I don't find it all that troublesome a weed. It seeds around a bit where you've got bare earth, but it's not all that competitive and the plants die after flowering.

The fact that it's poisonous to horses and other livestock isn't really relevant for the occasional plant growing in a garden. IO'd leave it be and enjoy it.

pootler

I'm not convinced it is ragwort but if it is I was told to use gloves when pulling it.  If you pull too much by hand, supposedly toxins can get in to your blood stream that can cause liver problems in humans.  Not sure how true that is but better be safe than sorry.

DorsetUK

When it's growing it isn't a problem re cattle etc.  But when it's pulled and dropped or worse still, gets into hay bales then it don't do 'em any good at all.  It also seeds pretty freely so it isn't difficult to get  a whole heap of them all of a sudden. Sheep kept in a pasture with it merrily chomp it to the ground as it grows with no ill effects at all.  And yes, when I find a healthy clump or two growing where they are no harm to any animal, I always look for the cinnabar caterpillars

Hiya primrose cottage I did exactly the same when I devided some geraniums I potted up some buttercups lol your not alone

Advertisement

Fritillary

Cattle will  occasionally graze Ragwort and if they get a taste for it, it will kill them.We try and pull all we can from our fields.Always wear gloves as it does go into the skin and will gradually build up in the liver.

4thPanda

Thanks - usually wear gloves when gardening but have been known to take a fancy to a weed when on a wander and yank with bare hands  Will resist the temptation