Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Hosta flowering - shall I or shan't I?

DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I usually remove flowering stalks from my hostas so that they build up strong crowns - I grow hostas for their architectural leaves, not the flowers.   

But, one of my Blue Angels is throwing up a really fat looking flower spike - shall I be strong and remove it, or shall I let curiosity win and let it flower?

Of course, as we're leaving to go on holiday on Friday, we might miss the flower anyway.

What would you do?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

Hosta flowers last forever - will still be there when you get back.

I would let it flower - if you don't like it then you know you're not missing anything when you give it a chop in future years !

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Ialways let mine flower, some of them are very good. And it makes up for the holey leaves when the gastropods have visited

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • chicachica Posts: 252

yes let it flower you could be in for a nice surprise and have a lovely holidayimage

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

I always let my hostas flower.  I like the form, the subtle colours and the way they last and attract bees.  Some are also scented.   Never noticed extra slugs visiting them in flower and a healthy hosta is not going to be weakened by flowers which I always cut off when spent so they don't waste energy on seed.

If you're going away for a long holiday, you may as well cut them as you'll miss them and just come home to spent heads.    If it's only for a week or two then by all means leave them to enjoy when you get home.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

I leave mine to flower, as well, and it certainly hasn't affected them adversely as two are over five feet across!

It is true that they flower very late (or mine do, anyway) and the dying flowers do signal deteriorating leaves, too, but since that's usually late September it's not a problem.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I think that, all things considered, I shall remove this flower spike.  The plant is one of a group of three and I'd like them all to develop at around the same rate - as this is the only one that is flowering this early I'm concerned that if it puts energy into flowering it may get left behind by the others.  They were only planted last year so maybe when they're a bit bigger I'll let them flower.

Thanks for your help folks!image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I only keep the white ones ...just a personal preference Dove as I simply don't like the colour of the lilac varieties- too wishy washy for me! image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...