Start a new thread

1 to 8 of 8 replies

Help Please, I have 5 Hosta plants and the purple flower in the middle is growing too tall and dying off. what can i do please. :)

punkdoc

A picture would be helpful.

A flower cannot really grow too tall, it grows as tall as it does, if that makes sense.

Are the flowers dieing, because they have reached the end of their natural life?

Dovefromabove

Hosta flowers do grow tall.  Some people remove the flower stem before the flowers open as they prefer the appearance without them, or because they want the plant to use its energy to build up the plant rather than produce flowers.

On well grown plants I allow the flower to bloom, then remove the flower stem when the flowers are dying off ... just snip the stem down low.  

Some hosta flowers are beautifully scented. 

nutcutlet

much too tall for what?

Tray14

They can appear tall compared to the foliage - I tend to leave the flowers until they fade as the bees love them ! That said a friend of mine chops the flowers off as they enjoy the formation of the leaves. Matter of taste I guess 😁

Advertisement

Hostafan1

All I can say is , "lucky you" . I have over 1,500 Hosta plants and NONE of the flowers are " too tall" 

I'm very jealous. 

Tray14

Hostafan - I concur 😁😁