London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 11°C
8 messages
07/02/2014 at 17:46

I have forgotten when to split Hostas in pots, although I have many growing in the garden. 

In the past I have got out the pruning saw, early April and carved into sections, some did well, others not ! 

The potted ones look quite tight now  - so any advice as to whether to split into 2/3 for future pot growing would be welcomed

Louise 

07/02/2014 at 17:50
07/02/2014 at 17:52

as with most perennials, you can split when dormant...........late autumn is a good time but with care, you should be able to do them now.  Just keep an eye on them in this weather.

07/02/2014 at 17:59

Thank you both for replies - if we ever get a good day here in the Yorks Dales will go ahead

07/02/2014 at 18:17

I'd agree with philippa. If you can put them somewhere sheltered ( house wall or similar) in case there's a severe spell of cold weather, they should be fine. 

07/02/2014 at 18:23

I split mine when I can see the new "bullets" or young shoots starting to form. This way you can exactly where to cut and, more importantly, where not to cut. 

On smaller plants I find the best tool is an old bread knife which I use to cut as one would a cake, one cut into the middle, then work out to the edge.

Larger specimens can be tackled with a spade. Again, I'd look for a clear line between buds before making a chop. You can take a line from the middle out to the edge, or cut clean across. You really just need to spend a bit of time looking at them from all angles to establish which chunks would work best. I also find it best to dig up the whole clump, if it's in the ground, and work on a hard surface like a path, or slab which makes cutting easier.

It really depends upon the weather when they get to this stage, but I've split them even when the leaves are starting to unfold when I've got " a bid behind". 

They're more resilient than they look.

07/02/2014 at 18:24

I find hostas can sulk if done in autumn so prefer to do them in spring just as they start to shoot.    Make sure they get good quality compost to grow in and are well watered after splitting and to keep them growing..  

08/02/2014 at 12:16

Thank you everyone, much good advice, especially from Hostafan on how to split.  I will take more care in future !

email image
8 messages