Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Hot house Hostas

AWBAWB Posts: 421

I would like to grow some Hostas in the greenhouse.

Obviously in the shade and kept well watered. Can anybody recommend suitable candidates, thanks 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

might be a silly question, but why in a greenhouse?

Devon.
  • AWBAWB Posts: 421

Thanks for comments.

realized that it might not be possible, wanted to grow a hosta with no blemishes, slugs a problem but I choose not to poison them.

i have calla lillies bananas gingers and ferns in the greenhouse, Brugmansia currently outside but will overwinter inside, the fragrance is heady as they often reflower when brought inside.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

AWB, I have around 1,500 Hostas and I rarely use pellets. Try to encourage wildlife, thrushes, hedgehogs and frogs will all keep slugs and snails at bay.

I think if you did grow them in a greenhouse, they'd stretch and be very limp and be prone to heat damage, even if you can give them shade.

Try one, you might prove us all wrong.

I think the pursuit of a  blemish free Hosta may be a thankless task. I can live with the limited damage on mine.

Devon.
  • AWBAWB Posts: 421

Hi Hostafan, I do garden organically and have really good habitats and lots of frogs, haven't seen many thrushes and little evidence of hedgehogs.

1500 very impressive, I think your pests know that you have got them beat.

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923

be aware that brugmansia are highly toxic, even their pollen can cause hallucinations.