Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

House plants

Lorna95Lorna95 Posts: 436

Can anybody tell me what sort of soil do you use  to pot up house plants, I phoned the local garden centre and they said you just use normal multipurpose compost. but i thought it would be somethink else.

So I thought I would ask on here before buying anything.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.xx 

• I normally go for a potting mix that is quite free draining. If I don't I tend to get fungus gnat infestationsimage

• Lorna95Lorna95 Posts: 436

Thanks Rainbowfish, I will look for some in the garden centre next time.

Thank you.

• It does also depend on the plant but there are normally ready made mixtures for either specific plants or houseplants in general.

They often are small bags that I find useful, not having anywhere to store compost atm.

Multipurpose compost with something added for drainage would be the cheaper option.

I can't remember the name of the plant, I will see if i can find one of the bags in the garden centre but if they don't have anything then I will give the multipurpose compost mix ago.

My local garden centre is not very helpful at all, so I'm glad I can get some help on here.

Thanks Rainbowfish.

• You could post a picture here of the plant and someone will be able to tell you what it is called

Yes, will have to do it tomorrow, If I remember. image