London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 16°C
10 messages
28/04/2012 at 16:22

Hi

I have a Bamboo approx 7ft tall spread over 1/2 metre in area.  I live on a slight hill and all tall shrubs and trees seem to lean to the forward and to the right.  I have staked as much as possible and this has helped but the Bamboo is still leaning over.  I don't think it helps that the wind whistles around from the side where it is planted.  Can I move it to a new position and when would be the best time please?Also can it be split?

I can't remember the correct name but the bamboo is the colour of canes not the black variety.

28/04/2012 at 16:42

It will be hard work to dig up and move...I have done so successfully lots of times on Bamboo's not so big. You could maybe get at least 4 "new" plants from that one, I "saw" mine with an old bread knife, its very hard word tho'...brute force and a temper works wonders...good luck. Oh ... if its leaning, try planting it leaning in the opposite direction, that may compensate for the wind direction, I'm not sure but worth a try with one or two of them to compare, if it works dig up the others and get them leaning too...I would move Bamboo any time, but if its hot and dry, water water water...

28/04/2012 at 17:20

Ok thank you will give it a try....

28/04/2012 at 17:27
Debbie McKenzie wrote (see)

It will be hard work to dig up and move...I have done so successfully lots of times on Bamboo's not so big. You could maybe get at least 4 "new" plants from that one, I "saw" mine with an old bread knife, its very hard word tho'.....I would move Bamboo any time, but if its hot and dry, water water water...

I completely agree.

I've moved quite large bamboos. The most difficult thing is to actually dig the thing up. The roots are not usually particuarly deep, but it is still very difficult to actually dig beneath the plant. A rootball will also be very heavy and very difficult to move.

This is an excellent opportunity to divide the plant. Large bamboos are not cheap to buy, so you can save yourself a lot of money by dividing large bamboos. I use a saw - the type you would use to cut up logs. A breadknife would be woefully inadequate to cut through the woody roots of a decent-sized bamboo rootball.

Bamboos are tough and it should be possible to move at any time, except high Summer. If you do move it, you'll need to keep it well watered for the remainder of the season.

24/03/2014 at 18:22
I have recently moved a black bamboo it's Apx 7 ft tall and a couple of get wide at the base. I have put in a pot at another location in a south facing garden the pot was filled with soil and Pete and is moist to the touch. It has been a week and the leaves have gone dry and started curling should I water more at this time of year even though earth seems slightly moist or leave alone. Would the plant normally loose leaf during a move then recover when extended rootlets have grown back?
24/03/2014 at 18:25
Sorry brand new and just making sure that I was doing it all wrong! Think I have done a fine job????
24/03/2014 at 19:27

I think you'll loose some leaves due to transplant shock - don't overwater - just keep the soil  moist - and cross your fingers 

25/03/2014 at 08:41
Fingers crossed. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I will leave in the hands of the weather gods! ????
10/04/2014 at 06:16

how do I kill off a very evasive bamboo plant.  Too big to dig up HELP

10/04/2014 at 08:06

Come on folks.....express caution re bamboos in the garden.  

email image
10 messages