Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

How do i grow cascading Lobelia from seed?

LucyLLucyL Posts: 163

I live in inverness in the highlands. I am planning on having about 30ish small hanging pots on my garden fence, i wanted a flower that would fit into this pot that would hang down but also not be 'flat' on top. I was directed to Cascading Lobelia.

Since the weather isn't great here till end of april, and possibly by that time the shops have ran out of the lobelia (as always sell it way to early)

• What is the best way to plant them from seed?
  • what do they require?
  • when would i be best starting them off?
  • Also i'm guessing that they die back every winter (do they come back themselves or do you have to start from scratch again?)

I have a seed success kit and also i just got a cold frame.

Thanks everyone, you are always very helpful to me.

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,995

I've planted them from seed before, they grow really easily.  I started the seeds in a covered flat indoor.  Once they had their first set of leaves I scooped them out in clumps with a tea spoon (rather than pricking out individually) and grew them on in pots.  Hardened them off as any other indoor grown plant, then put them in the garden.  They grew a treat.  

They do die back every winter, and do reseed a little bit.. but as you have them in pots you'll need to plant again.  

Utah, USA.
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

Easy to do in a propagator. I use trays with lots of individual compartments and put a few (6 or so) seeds in each compartment. Lay seeds on top of the soil and don't cover with soil, they need light to germinate. Don't make them too moist or they can be prone to 'damping off'. I sow, press them very lightly into the top of the soil and spray over lightly to just moisten it. Should show in a week or so. image

• cairnsiecairnsie Posts: 388

Ive never really been successful with lobelia mine always look staggly and poor and require alot of effort to grow. I have however have them self seed in pavement cracks under my pots. They arnt hardy and wont survive a frost so need to be grown in a frost free place. They do look nice in baskets though

• Get the seeds for trailing. the blue sapphire I think is a pretty one or you could buy string of pearls for a mixed colours and there is also white trailing as well.. Is very easy to grow although needs regular spraying with water to keep seeds damp to start with and a clear cover over the top.  as soon as enough seeds through, uncover and grow on watering immediately soon as they appear dry. DONT however leave them to dry for very long.   If not sure about watering, put water in a tray of low level water and remove plant as soon as any wet trace shows on surface.

• Jazdean80Jazdean80 Posts: 30

I'm growing lobelia for the first time this year. I'm hoping they come up as yet they're very small 

• Lobelia can take a bit longer to germinate, I have noticed and tend be varied so give them time enough and remember you might need to split the clumps up later on so don't give up on them if only a few clumps grow.
  • If I get any signs of mould I spray my seedlings with flash bleach just once lightly to knock it back while they are small. Just on the surface of the compost and leave the cover off for a day. Remember water according to the size of the plants ie. New seedlings don't go very deep. A good guide is the root will be much the same size as the top so with seedlings you don't need to water log the whole pot.
  • LucyLLucyL Posts: 163

Thanks guys, Do you think i'd be able to plant them on my propogator just now? Or would they be ready too early for me? (in Inverness) think frost should be away by may?

thanks as always your always very helpful

• Am starting mine am starting mine off next week on my sunny windows sills. When they get going I move then to a cooler windows and remove the clear cover. Trailing lobelia tend to go flat on to as they trail due to the weight. The sapphire blue ones look lovely with pink trailing ivy leaf geraniums. I tend to put out any tubs in frost protected areas first such as corners of the garden where fences or hedging are on two sides. When hardening off I place trays under sun beds, the garden table or whatever else will keep the frost off at night. Remember sunny days in spring can mean cold nights. GOOD LUCK!
  • LucyLLucyL Posts: 163

Thank you everyone, I have gone and bought 4 kinds/colours (I had no idea the seeds were that tiny!! the idea of 2-3 seeds per plug went completely out the window) I have started them of in my wee seed success propigator set n' arein my window, so hoping it wont be too long until i get loads of little plants image