London (change)
Today 25°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 14°C
9 messages
12/02/2013 at 13:42

Hi All

My neighbour has a Smoke Tree that I just love and she said I can take some cuttings to grow, I am a bit of an amateur gardener so I would just like some advice on the best way to do this please and what will I need as far as routing powder etc...?

Also same question regarding Full-Moon Acer tree which I would like to grow from cutting please.

Many Thanks in advance for any help! 

12/02/2013 at 14:01

Hi Davie

I haven't got a clue, I keep trying. I'll watch this thread and I might find out. I'll have to get another smoke tree though, mine died last summer. I fear honey fungus.

12/02/2013 at 15:48

I have propagated both by semi-ripe cuttings. You take a 6-8 inch cutting with this years growth on it and bury the bottom 4 inch or so in the soil. The highest chance of getting them to root is in a propagator with bottom heat, out of direct sunshine, kept watered but not too much. A coldframe does work with the above conditions but takes months to root and they sometimes leaf without roots and then die quickly.

12/02/2013 at 15:49

I have found the best way to propagate from a smoke tree is by layering, cuttings never seem to take for me. You need to find a low branch or two that can pegged down into the soil for a few months, which should then form roots, at which point it can be cut off from the parent plant.

12/02/2013 at 22:23
I too take cuttings as blairs does.....August/sep time...but in pots left outside in shade. For me, they are easy and root quickly. I cover cuttings with polythene bag for few weeks. Then overwinter, less polythene, in greenhouse. In spring they are raring to go
13/02/2013 at 21:10
Verdun wrote (see)
I too take cuttings as blairs does.....August/sep time...but in pots left outside in shade. For me, they are easy and root quickly. I cover cuttings with polythene bag for few weeks. Then overwinter, less polythene, in greenhouse. In spring they are raring to go

Ah, you overwinter in a greenhouse. I have left mine out and that seems to be too much for the new roots and the cuttings are dead by spring. I shall try that next year!

09/05/2013 at 16:31

I would like t propagate smoke branches. Has any one tried to cut off some bark off living branch,wrapping in wet peat moss, then wrapping with poly and tape to hold togeather. I know this works on some bushes.

If you have an answer please advise me,

Bill Mixon

Fishersville, Va. 

06/06/2014 at 18:30

Cuttings should work for this plant, as for most that can take root from cuttings.  Take a cutting where the tiny branch meets a larger supporting branch or trunk.  Remove all but the top few leaves.  Dip the bottom of the cutting in rooting hormone.  Place the cutting in moist potting soil.  Make sure that the lowest bud on the branch is within the potting soil.  With luck, the rooting hormone will help the bud produce a root instead of a branch or leaf.  Put the cutting in a large zip-lock bag out of direct sunlight.  This will work like a mini greenhouse and control humidity.  Take a number of cuttings, and with luck, at least one will take.  Good luck.

P.S.  Check Youtube for videos.  I found one for crape-myrtles, where much of the above instructions come from.

06/06/2014 at 22:30

Layer long shoots in September.  A year later, sever them from the parent plant, and pot up.  Plant out a year later.

Cutiings 4-5 inches with a heel in August/September.  Insert into pots of peat and sand by equal amount volume.  Place in cold frame.  When large enough, usually a year later, pot on.   Then a year later plant out.

email image
9 messages