London (change)
Today 13°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 7°C
7 messages
12/02/2013 at 13:42

Hi All

My neighbour has a Smoke Tree that I just love and she said I can take some cuttings to grow, I am a bit of an amateur gardener so I would just like some advice on the best way to do this please and what will I need as far as routing powder etc...?

Also same question regarding Full-Moon Acer tree which I would like to grow from cutting please.

Many Thanks in advance for any help! 

12/02/2013 at 14:01

Hi Davie

I haven't got a clue, I keep trying. I'll watch this thread and I might find out. I'll have to get another smoke tree though, mine died last summer. I fear honey fungus.

12/02/2013 at 15:48

I have propagated both by semi-ripe cuttings. You take a 6-8 inch cutting with this years growth on it and bury the bottom 4 inch or so in the soil. The highest chance of getting them to root is in a propagator with bottom heat, out of direct sunshine, kept watered but not too much. A coldframe does work with the above conditions but takes months to root and they sometimes leaf without roots and then die quickly.

12/02/2013 at 15:49

I have found the best way to propagate from a smoke tree is by layering, cuttings never seem to take for me. You need to find a low branch or two that can pegged down into the soil for a few months, which should then form roots, at which point it can be cut off from the parent plant.

12/02/2013 at 22:23
I too take cuttings as blairs does.....August/sep time...but in pots left outside in shade. For me, they are easy and root quickly. I cover cuttings with polythene bag for few weeks. Then overwinter, less polythene, in greenhouse. In spring they are raring to go
13/02/2013 at 21:10
Verdun wrote (see)
I too take cuttings as blairs does.....August/sep time...but in pots left outside in shade. For me, they are easy and root quickly. I cover cuttings with polythene bag for few weeks. Then overwinter, less polythene, in greenhouse. In spring they are raring to go

Ah, you overwinter in a greenhouse. I have left mine out and that seems to be too much for the new roots and the cuttings are dead by spring. I shall try that next year!

09/05/2013 at 16:31

I would like t propagate smoke branches. Has any one tried to cut off some bark off living branch,wrapping in wet peat moss, then wrapping with poly and tape to hold togeather. I know this works on some bushes.

If you have an answer please advise me,

Bill Mixon

Fishersville, Va. 

email image
7 messages