London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 14°C
6 messages
21/07/2013 at 15:25

Hi

How do you keep geranium sanguineum flowering?

Tania

21/07/2013 at 15:33

Once their first flush of flowers is over, most hardy geraniums can be cut back hard, foliage too, and then watered and given a bit of food - blood fish and bone or pelleted chicken manure.  In about 3 weeks time you'll have a completely refreshed plant with new lush foliage and flower buds forming.

I do this with all of mine except the macrorhizums.

21/07/2013 at 15:36

Cut the flowers and foliage down to just above soil level after each flush of flowers has gone over.  In this dry weather I'd give them a good soaking and a feed after cutting back and they'll soon flower again. 

Snap! Obelixx 

21/07/2013 at 20:16

Obelixx, what do you do with macchorizums?  I've cut back my geranium pratense 'splish splash' but done nothing with the macchorizums yet.

21/07/2013 at 21:44

Cut lots of mine back this weekend. I usually end up pulling machorrizums out as they spread so fast. Levae the seed heads on as they are pretty.

22/07/2013 at 10:08

I just leave my macrorhizums and occasionally dig up bits to give away or plant elsewhere as it's so good for difficult spots such as dry shade.

I cut back all the geranium phaeums and a load of un-named pink ones at teh end of June and they've already grown healthy new foliage.  Plenty more to do this week before teh rain starts agai at teh end of teh week.  They'll be looking good again by mid August.

email image
6 messages