London (change)
Today 17°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 11°C
1 to 20 of 28 messages
22/05/2013 at 17:41

I'm in Suffolk and nothing more than a casual gardener but I can't recall a later spring than this one. Everything bar the chestnut tree candles appears to be about a month late.

Am I wrong?

22/05/2013 at 17:43

Her in Nottingham the Oaks have just come into leaf. I reckon they're a month behind.

I an digging up stray potatoes from last year which just show signs of growth. Normally any strays would be 6 inch high by now.

22/05/2013 at 17:45

It is late but things have a way of evening themselves out-we have had lack of spring as such before-last two summers were a disaster-on the law of averages this one will be great.

22/05/2013 at 17:46

I'm in Kent and the lateness of Spring has fluctuated between 3-4 weeks depending on how many warm sunny days we are getting.

As soon as the sun shines, things begin to leap but then a cold wind or gloomy overcast sky halts it all again.

Even old reliables are slow this year but what really concerns me is the bees and pollinating insects that I am just not seeing much of. I hope all is well.

22/05/2013 at 18:22

I garden in Hampshire and Spring is about 30 days late I think. My display tulips are just setting off their big show, usually this is at the begining of May. My worry is that all the display bedding is under glass and really should be out harding off! 

22/05/2013 at 18:25

I can't help but ask, is this Portnoy's complaint? There, someone had to say it.

I agree; this is the latest spring for many years, though I think 1962 or 3 had serious snow in April. I remember digging my father's car out of the drive and putting down cinders to help the traction. Also, cycling to the station to get to college, bending my pedals in the snow!

22/05/2013 at 18:32

art - 

We're later here anyway- but later than ever! I have a purple berberis which is still struggling to flower- I think they're too scared too open 

We've just had a sleety hail shower here and just heard the weather man say coldest Spring since 1979. Snow in North of Scotland ...hope Highland Jeannie's well wrapped up!

22/05/2013 at 18:36

Portnoy's Complaint is just a mild concern compared with the non-procession of the jet stream and the gulf stream's decline artjak.

I recall the winter of 62/3 but as I wasn't an earth-prodder then, I wasn't bovvered.

22/05/2013 at 18:41

I would say a month behind here too, I'm going with lazy gardeners law of averages

22/05/2013 at 18:42

Portnoy, I agree with concerns about the gulf stream.

Fairy G, SLEET! you have all my sympathies

22/05/2013 at 19:10

Here in West Somerset it's a good 4 to 6 weeks behind!  My magnolia stellata was 6 weeks late in blooming, My lupins are now in bud, but photos from this time last year show them in full and glorious bloom.  Tulips were late, Germination of most seed was slow because of low light levels etc.

I expect things to even themselves out, though.  Interestingly, given the sleet and snow in some places, I recall 1975 when, in London, it snowed in June.  We then had a hot summer, a dry winter, and the very hot, very dry summer in '76.  I wonder if this is a bit of a pattern???

22/05/2013 at 19:19

I'm moving to the Arctic to get a heat....

Any igloos for sale folks...???

22/05/2013 at 20:31

It must be a bit of a bugger for the TV gardeners' programme planners when all their programmes are best viewed on iplayer +1 month!

22/05/2013 at 20:33

Just had a look at some late May garden photos for the last few years. Last year's look much the same as now but 2011 was several weeks ahead.

22/05/2013 at 21:43
Portnoy wrote (see)

It must be a bit of a bugger for the TV gardeners' programme planners when all their programmes are best viewed on iplayer +1 month!

Pardon my French marigolds.

22/05/2013 at 21:47
Portnoy wrote (see)

Pardon my French marigolds.

23/05/2013 at 08:24

NW bitter winds with winter squalls here in the west highlands. I took out about 50 bedding plants yesterday to harden off and planted a dozen or so. I shall go out and apologise to their bodies soon, and take the rest back into the overcrowded greenhouse. We'll all catch up soon tho, June will be beautiful!!!

23/05/2013 at 08:29

I think we areabout a month behind here in Somerset.the greenhouse is full to bursting with plants waiting to go out,have had good exercise in carrying things back and forth to harden off.

23/05/2013 at 08:32

About 3 years ago I had a garden party for charity the end of May. It was 2° and there was sleet, people still laugh about it, but now they say it was snow! Last year I held it in June and it poured. I live in Dordogne! Cold wet spring here too. A lot is late but the roses are starting to come out.

23/05/2013 at 13:49

..As I went out this mornin, around 09.15, my car gave me an ice warning!!  Then while out, we had sleet and hail, now dark grey skies and bitter cold rain - don't you love the joys of an English Spring?  Many things are flowering though as we did have a couple of nice days,.  I have a large flowered Dr Rupple clematis which I left in the greenhouse (it was new to me), and it is flowering its dear little head off - but safely still just inside the greenhouse door.  Many overwintered things still in the cold frame as I'd not dare put them put yet, seedlings huge as can't even think about hardening them off without severe losses, yet the tulips are glorious, as are the cowslips and violas, the small irises (not reticulata but 'real' irises, think they are called pumila or similar) flowering away, young acer leaves lovely - and I'm indoors whie the rain tries to break the window. 

1 to 20 of 28 messages