Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

How late is this 'spring'?

PortnoyPortnoy Posts: 8

I'm in Suffolk and nothing more than a casual gardener but I can't recall a later spring than this one. Everything bar the chestnut tree candles appears to be about a month late.

Am I wrong?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Her in Nottingham the Oaks have just come into leaf. I reckon they're a month behind.

I an digging up stray potatoes from last year which just show signs of growth. Normally any strays would be 6 inch high by now.

• lazy gardenerlazy gardener Posts: 317

It is late but things have a way of evening themselves out-we have had lack of spring as such before-last two summers were a disaster-on the law of averages this one will be great.

• WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

I'm in Kent and the lateness of Spring has fluctuated between 3-4 weeks depending on how many warm sunny days we are getting.

As soon as the sun shines, things begin to leap but then a cold wind or gloomy overcast sky halts it all again.

Even old reliables are slow this year but what really concerns me is the bees and pollinating insects that I am just not seeing much of. I hope all is well.image

• Flossie3Flossie3 Posts: 6

I garden in Hampshire and Spring is about 30 days late I think. My display tulips are just setting off their big show, usually this is at the begining of May. My worry is that all the display bedding is under glass and really should be out harding off! 

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I can't help but ask, is this Portnoy's complaint? There, someone had to say it.image

I agree; this is the latest spring for many years, though I think 1962 or 3 had serious snow in April. I remember digging my father's car out of the drive and putting down cinders to help the traction. Also, cycling to the station to get to college, bending my pedals in the snow!

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

art - image

We're later here anyway- but later than ever! I have a purple berberis which is still struggling to flower- I think they're too scared too open image

We've just had a sleety hail shower here and just heard the weather man say coldest Spring since 1979. Snow in North of Scotland ...hope Highland Jeannie's well wrapped up!

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • PortnoyPortnoy Posts: 8

Portnoy's Complaint is just a mild concern compared with the non-procession of the jet stream and the gulf stream's decline artjak.

I recall the winter of 62/3 but as I wasn't an earth-prodder then, I wasn't bovvered.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Portnoy, I agree with concerns about the gulf stream.

Fairy G, SLEET! you have all my sympathiesimage

• pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,193

Here in West Somerset it's a good 4 to 6 weeks behind!  My magnolia stellata was 6 weeks late in blooming, My lupins are now in bud, but photos from this time last year show them in full and glorious bloom.  Tulips were late, Germination of most seed was slow because of low light levels etc.

I expect things to even themselves out, though.  Interestingly, given the sleet and snow in some places, I recall 1975 when, in London, it snowed in June.  We then had a hot summer, a dry winter, and the very hot, very dry summer in '76.  I wonder if this is a bit of a pattern??? image